2020 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Mushroom Geologist, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Who is ready????!!!!!! We have had absolutely no winter this year in East Texas and nights are in the low 40's and days bumping around 60. I have already started to look for the tiny grays. Nothing yet but will keep all posted.

2. huntintheworld

huntintheworld Young Morel

Hoping I will be able to take a trip to east texas and partake in this season!

Kokomorel likes this.

3. Ari Morilla

Ari Morilla Morel Enthusiast

Hi Mushroom Geologist! I'm traveling to east Texas to visit family late next month and want to know the odds of finding any young grays?

4. beowulf75

beowulf75 Morel Enthusiast

C’mon.

Can morels really appear this early in east Texas?

5. Ari Morilla

They call it "morel madness" for a reason ;)

6. Mushroom Geologist

I have found them in mid February about 3 years ago. The weather has been odd this winter as my dam pear trees are starting to blossom. Rule of thumb is when the Jonquils start to bloom, start looking for morels and the dam things are starting to bloom. I have yet to find a morel this season. Havent really been looking to hard.

Ari Morilla and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Mushroom Geologist

Late next month is a good possibility. I don't particularly find them in mass abundance but look for the elms early in the season.

Ari Morilla likes this.
  8. Ari Morilla

It would definitely be cool to even find one way before my state's season (Michigan)! :)

9. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

MG, now that is the spirit. I did not even know you guys had elm down in E. Tex. Never been there but my wife lived in Houston for a while. How far east are you? In the limestone area or farther east? People forget that morels don't look at the calendar before they arrive. I have picked them as early a mid March here in N. Mo and have had to wait until May in some years. Usually the first 2 weeks of April things get started. I assume if you are in the limestone areas you do the best on the cedar later in the year?

10. Mushroom Geologist

East of Dallas. No limestone around here. Mostly sand and clay...Iron rich rock. Elms are plentiful here. Towards the end of the season I look around the cedars to find morels. Can find them as early as Feb all the way into April. By mind April its over.

11. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Never found them quite this early. But I did find about 20 little guys last year in the 20s of February...and they had popped, then gotten frozen, then dried out before I found them. That was in north end of hill country...limestone soil/cedars, as opposed to E Texas.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. Mushroom Geologist

Well, nature freeze dried them for you!!! Cup O Soup!!!!

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Jess lethe

Jess lethe Morel Enthusiast

Hey guys, how far south would you say morels have been spotted ? I am new to south east Texas area and I’m feeling quite pessimistic. It is kind of marshy here. Plenty of mesquites though!

14. Rsmiley

Rsmiley Morel Enthusiast

I’m in the Whitehouse area & moved here from a cpl of northern states & had no idea they were here...can not wait So ready time show my cousins in IN, MO & KS & my Mom in TN when I find some here soon & they’ll all be SHOCKED I Really Can’t Wait lol!

15. Mushroom Geologist

Im in Bullard area and they are here in east Texas. Look for less marshy and find the higher ground. I have already started looking but the weather has been real rainy and near freezing at night. Probably going to slow down the growth. Im already looking and haven't found any yet.

Jess lethe likes this.
  16. Rsmiley

Rsmiley Morel Enthusiast

That’s great news I am ready to find some for sure! Just went thru Bullard yesterday! Excited to see some pics when you find some! I’m gonna start looking too maybe after this cold!

17. Ari Morilla

I had a dream last night that I found some itty bitty guys...that counts for something, right? ;)

18. Jess lethe

I am over by the big thicket and when I get a chance I try to hike some of the paths. Looking forward to spring/summer to get some more trials in.

19. Mushroom Geologist

Don't get caught hunting in the park. LOL

20. Jess lethe

I just enjoy hiking and taking in all the beauty nature offers.. that being said I’m not going to pass up something shiny if it catches any eye.

missd and (deleted member) like this.