2020 Morel Season

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Mushroom Geologist, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Rsmiley

Rsmiley Morel Enthusiast

In the park? Is it illegal?

2. Jess lethe

Jess lethe Morel Enthusiast

Depends on the state and if you buy a permit. I haven’t look to much into it here but I imagine it is similar to buying a license to hunt deer, turkey etc..

3. Rsmiley

Rsmiley Morel Enthusiast

Well I’m quite sure you don’t need a permit to hunt mushrooms just can’t be in private property lol!

4. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Big Thicket is a National Park and I would bet they would frown on you picking in the park.....pick fast I say!!!

Jess lethe and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Rsmiley

Rsmiley Morel Enthusiast

Oh well aren’t I blonde lol! You’re right

6. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I was down there 10 days ago and I saw magnolia trees in bloom! It was like heaven!. Flowers everywhere. Found a dead alligator gar in the Sabine National Forest. It sure is beautiful down there... but trashy. I've never seen so much trash on the side of the roads.

7. Mushroom Geologist

Sabine National Forest is about 2hrs away from where I live. That's deep in the woods down there. It can get trashy in areas around here. Its really sad though.

1 person likes this.
  8. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Someone posted early finds from SC on the GA forum...

Went out scouting spots in the Hill Country over the weekend. Definitely on the early side, but I did find a few blooming bluebonnets...so those are ahead of schedule this year.

9. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Thing is, there are weird rule variations for how a Federal property is designated. Up here in Ohio, running south from Cleveland, is the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreational Area. This encompasses most of the Cuyahoga River valley from Cleveland to Akron. It's a big space! At least for us. Hunting, both for wild game and mushrooms is prohibited, while that is usually OK for national parks. The same situation exists closer to home with Beaver Creek State Park. Game and mushroom hunting are allowed on state parks, but, included in the Beaver Creek "package" are several "Wildlife Conservation Areas" and "Wild and Scenic" designated areas.

"And DO NOT TRUST MAPS! At least commercially printed ones. I got a new one that had the Beaver Creek "Wildlife Conservation Area" and "Wild and Scenic" area labeled as part of the state park, which they are not! Go to the website of the governing body and read the regs for that particular area. It pays to read the fine print!

1 person likes this.
  10. HoosierInTexas

HoosierInTexas Morel Enthusiast

I was at Caddo over the weekend -- didn't really get a chance to go hunting but I noticed the mayapples are springing up all over the hillside I was hiking, and the jonquils were blooming everywhere. Redbuds starting to bloom, in the 60s but overcast, just felt like it's time! Wish I could have stayed longer and had more time to do some looking.

1 person likes this.
  11. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

12. Ari Morilla

Ari Morilla Morel Enthusiast

Temps have dropped back down. Lows in 30's at night...
    Mushroom Geologist, I'm not feeling too confident about finding any next week when I'm in town.

13. Mushroom Geologist

close to freezing....but this dam late cold blast is probably going to slow crap down....looking like a early March season at best. Last 2 years I found them about this time of the year though.

Ari Morilla likes this.
  14. tonsoffungus

tonsoffungus Morel Enthusiast

Agreed on timing comments. We've probably got at least another week. 24 hour soil temp for one of my spots is only 45.6. As opposed to 53.1 5 year average for 2/21 and 55 10 year average. Reported temps are for ag land, so soil temp in the woods is usually even lower. Allegedly fruiting occurs between 55 and 62, though I don't believe in hard morel rules. I'll be out this weekend!

Ari Morilla and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Ari Morilla

Let us know if ya see anything!

16. Mushroom Geologist

Nothing....went to all my early spots and nothing.

Ari Morilla and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Mushroom Geologist

FOUND ONE!!!! First morel of 2020!!! I win!!! All other finds are fake...Georgia doesn't count!!!! I probably looked like an idiot when I found this one. Glad I was all alone....I hope.

Attached Files:

18. Ari Morilla

Yay!!! Yes, you win! :) Good job! Did you pick it or gonna let it get bigger?

1 person likes this.
  19. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

What part of state was Texas find?

1 person likes this.
  20. ilmorelgirlintx

ilmorelgirlintx Morel Enthusiast

Congratulations!

1 person likes this.