Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
121 - 140 of 169 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
We haven’t had any luck here in north Tx. This is our first year hunting in this area. My hubby and I are both from the Midwest and didn’t even know morels were found this far south. We are going to keep looking and hope to find some. However, we have a trip already planned for late April to Missouri for our final attempt this year to find morels.

· Registered
15 Posts
Almost 6 pounds today with a couple giants! About half were past prime. View attachment 25712 View attachment 25710
Incredible haul! I am fairly new to morel hunting but have done done chanterelle foraging in the northwest (among other edibles). I am headed to my family's 25 acre plot of land in Lindale next weekend. It's off 69 and CR 1804. Any tips on the conditions where you found these?
Looking for elm trees? Cedars? Cottonwoods?
High/low elevation?
Sandy soil or no?
North, south, east or west side of embankments?

Thanks so much!
Jack

· Registered
1,216 Posts
Hell! It's only 25 acres! Just go hike it! My local park as a kid was 88 acres and there was no spot that was unknown to me! I now hunt my fish & game club that is 2,200 acres! Yes, there are spots where I've never been, but I've found plenty in the spots where I have been. Still, I'll check out a couple of new spots every year.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hell! It's only 25 acres! Just go hike it! My local park as a kid was 88 acres and there was no spot that was unknown to me! I now hunt my fish & game club that is 2,200 acres! Yes, there are spots where I've never been, but I've found plenty in the spots where I have been. Still, I'll check out a couple of new spots every year.
Agreed! And I will. Just wanted to know so I can prioritize the hunt, or check out other spots around town.

· Registered
22 Posts
Agreed! And I will. Just wanted to know so I can prioritize the hunt, or check out other spots around town.
First I like to concentrate my efforts near running water when possible. There I’ll check all elm, ash, or any large dead trees. I haven’t had luck around ash trees here like I do in other states, but I think I just haven’t found the right ones yet. As far as orientation of the slopes I believe that is more of a timing thing, as southern will warm earlier in the season. I don’t really consider orientation in Texas. Same with elevation, I’m not hunting in the mountains so I look at it all! Happy Hunting

· Registered
15 Posts
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Hope that they're still around for one more week. Will be sure to post if we're lucky!

First I like to concentrate my efforts near running water when possible. There I’ll check all elm, ash, or any large dead trees. I haven’t had luck around ash trees here like I do in other states, but I think I just haven’t found the right ones yet. As far as orientation of the slopes I believe that is more of a timing thing, as southern will warm earlier in the season. I don’t really consider orientation in Texas. Same with elevation, I’m not hunting in the mountains so I look at it all! Happy Hunting

· Registered
22 Posts
Fungus Hen-of-the-wood False morel Tremella Plant
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Hope that they're still around for one more week. Will be sure to post if we're lucky!
Picked 46 more today, and found more that were all but gone. I think we are approaching the end here, but you could always find a place that fruits later than the rest. I did leave about 15 that weren’t opened up yet that I’ll go back for next weekend. I’ll post more pics if they grow.

· Registered
15 Posts
That's incredible! In Lindale? I searched in a couple Dallas parks to no avail and can't wait to try my luck out there.

View attachment 25876
Picked 46 more today, and found more that were all but gone. I think we are approaching the end here, but you could always find a place that fruits later than the rest. I did leave about 15 that weren’t opened up yet that I’ll go back for next weekend. I’ll post more pics if they grow.

· Registered
22 Posts
That's incredible! In Lindale? I searched in a couple Dallas parks to no avail and can't wait to try my luck out there.
Yes Lindale area. There are people on here that find them around Dallas, but I’ve never looked around there. I’ve hunted around Terrell with no luck, and my parents own land in Wills Point that has been unproductive. In my three years of hunting east Texas I finally got lucky and found a few spots.

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Yes Lindale area. There are people on here that find them around Dallas, but I’ve never looked around there. I’ve hunted around Terrell with no luck, and my parents own land in Wills Point that has been unproductive. In my three years of hunting east Texas I finally got lucky and found a few spots.
Incredible haul! I am fairly new to morel hunting but have done done chanterelle foraging in the northwest (among other edibles). I am headed to my family's 25 acre plot of land in Lindale next weekend. It's off 69 and CR 1804. Any tips on the conditions where you found these?
Looking for elm trees? Cedars? Cottonwoods?
High/low elevation?
Sandy soil or no?
North, south, east or west side of embankments?

Thanks so much!
Jack
Hike every dam acre. LOL. Look for cedars and oaks and look near the edges of creeks. That's where I'm finding the majority of the ones Bullard Tx area.

· Registered
6 Posts
We live/hunt in Bosque County...went out today for the first time and picked over a hundred and left HUNDREDS behind that were old and falling over or molding. We were a week late...BUT lots of small ones popping up to after the recent rains and then warm weather...
Food Dish Cuisine Ingredient Produce
hoping for a second flush here!!

· Registered
41 Posts
My north hill country spots had plenty of tired ones and some young ones mixed in on Sat/Sun. Got the 5 and 7 year old out there on Sunday, and they picked about 2 lbs. I'll go back out...probably one more time, but expecting it to taper off pretty severely with this heat.

· Registered
2 Posts

Attachments

121 - 140 of 169 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.