2020 - Ohio - Spring

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 15, 2020.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Let's start with this Ohio thread for the great year opening up to us!

Wahoowonder21, Khanson, Kym and 6 others like this.
  2. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

I like doing some scouting in the winter; good visibility and some old 'shrooms like Hen of the Woods or Maitake, or Lions Mane still hanging on --though inedible -- telling me where to look this next fall.

It becomes a cumulative experience making you better and more productive with each year's passing.

3. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

4BED5496-D05D-483F-BB16-9AF6BFEF8767.jpeg It won’t be long I’ll be out there looking for antler sheds and scouting good luck shrooming this is my new hood emblem

4 people like this.
  4. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes.. likewise Robinbluebird , Chewy and Me love a few good winter days in the woods ..finding things

1 person likes this.
  5. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

I'm from Northeast Ohio, but I'll be in the Athens area April 10-12. How possible do you think it might be to find some morels around that time?

3 people like this.
  6. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

That's right at my normal date of first find for central OH, so. . . spend some time in the woods when you're in the Athens area, mid April.

1 person likes this.
  7. adamrichard

adamrichard Morel Enthusiast

Awesome! I appreciate the info. Last year was my first time hunting for mushrooms and I had a blast. I'm really looking forward to getting back out there.

8. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Last year I got over to Athens County, OH once, on the 27th of April (below pic) and many of the Morels we got were 12 to 15 days old. SO . . . you have good reason to be excited about your chances.

DSC00048 cropped.JPG

9. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Don't forget to enjoy the splendor of Springtime afterwards too!

DSC00050.JPG

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

@Kokomorel Hey Kokomorel . . . what's the best way to affix my Chanterelle-hunt, hood-ornament from last year to the hood of my mushroommobile?

DSC00631.JPG

11. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

F7D4E5CA-7369-4C0C-B8AC-628FC52C0A97.jpeg B1BB7C21-9CC6-4BEC-B437-40C697864324.jpeg
    Use some shroomglue nice rack you pick up . I picked up this half rack last spring

5 people like this.
  12. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Now that's the way to end a day of hunting! Good luck this season sb!

1 person likes this.
  13. jdaniels313

With an antler on only one side of the hood your car might do circles! lol. Good Luck to you too this season Kokomorel!

14. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

So Sb, does your mushroommobile run on rinse water??? I like Kokomorel suggestion of shroomglue and plan to look for some at my local hardware store.. I was thinking crazy glue, seems better suited for such a project.... ps..is that a redbud I see blooming in that photo?? A good sign for morel hunting...

1 person likes this.
  15. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

redfred - yep, redbud, just starting to open. you got it.

It made me feel good again, just looking at that Athens County, OH, Morel Hunt Pic from last spring.

While I'm at it, redfred . . . are you ready to rob some banks again this year? . . . we can't have a redo of "Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid" because I've already been to Bolivia. . . . and I'm too old to die young! Ha! ha! ha! Ahhhh!

Wha-da-ya suggest? . . . Wait . . . . that's right . . . there are Morel Mushrooms in Bolivia!

16. jdaniels313

Hey sb, if you wanna get a laugh, look at the blacktail skull I found last year. (I better get there before the squirrels & rats huh?!) lol Battered Skull.jpg

17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

That was a bunch of calcium starved critters chewing there!

2 people like this.
  18. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Oddly enough, I have never found a shed antler. And I spend plenty of time out there. I have found a pretty complete skull with both small antlers attached. Here's a neat little twist in Ohio game law, or at least used to be. If you find one of these, you need to "check it in" with the DOW, in order to "reduce it to possession"! I didn't realize that until years later, so I never bothered. I guess I'm an outlaw!

2 people like this.
  19. jdaniels313

Don't get me started on 'weird game' laws! We're in CA. where they banned the use of lead ammo state wide, even for varmints! You can't pick up a pine cone or a branch without a paid for permit. That makes pretty much everyone out here an outlaw!

3 people like this.
  20. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

and to Everyone
    Don't get ME!! started on OutL....
    Actually Too Late.......
    You Damm Right !! We better all gotta lil
    Outlaw .. Outrageous.. Outdoorsman in us ..or.... isn't it really Our Freedom in us..
    This Land is Your Land This Land Is My Land.... Long as i ain't Hurting or Cheating Any Animals , People, Person or Property!!
    i will Walk in the Woods and Feilds Having an Absolutely Wonderful and Amazing Time Whenever and Wherever, i have the need or Feel'n For it....
    its just Natural to do so..
    and its No Wonder that its ....
    20150428_100808.jpg Our Constitutional Right, that a Man be Allowed to Work within His Calling..
    again i say; its Only Natural
    Them Woods is a Calling Us
    and .. We are Goin...
    Thank You God and Mother Nature
    for Get'n Together and Making such an
    Extraordinary Place and Time for Us all to Share Together

John Wasko, Kym, Kokomorel and 3 others like this.