Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

301 - 320 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice gutterman, if your finding blacks after the halfrees are up they're bound to be Giants
yeah but surprisingly a lot of the blacks are fresh pops as they weren’t there couple days prior. Still a couple more trees in the area I hunt them yet to throw also so should be more fresh pops coming.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, everyone! I'm coming to you from Washington County in SE Ohio. I'm a little late to join the forum but wanted to get your opinions/experiences on a couple of things.

1. In this specific area, it seems we've had a bit of a strange year thus far... The vast majority of the morels we've found have been very small (just a couple blacks and then what I'm assuming were either grays or tulips), and in general the quantity has been lower. This has been the case in all of our hotspots, and has also been the story for an avid hunter we're friends with who lives a few miles away as the crow flies. She's been very thrown by the lack of yellows and actually had yet to find one as of the last week of April, which is very strange. However, we've seen some photos of huge hauls from friends who live more down in the river valley (we're more up on a ridgetop). The main explanation I can think of is that we've had one hell of a rollercoaster with spring temps here (as I think much of Ohio has). I don't think we've had a string of truly warm days longer than 2 since late March, and have had some wicked cold nights, with more coming this week. My main question is: do you think that once we FINALLY get into regular late spring temps in a week or two (days in the 60s-70s, nights in the 50s), there could be a late bloom? Or is it more likely that the season has moved north and we'll just have to accept that this year was weird for those of us up on the ridge?

2. What are your philosophies on leaving morels to grow before picking them? Does it always make a big difference? Is there a cue for when you know they're not gonna get any bigger/fresher? The way they come up is still kind of a mystery to me, so I'd love to read any knowledge. I've been hunting for a long time but this year I've really dug into reading things online and am trying to become a better and wiser hunter.

Thank you, oracles!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, everyone! I'm coming to you from Washington County in SE Ohio. I'm a little late to join the forum but wanted to get your opinions/experiences on a couple of things.

1. In this specific area, it seems we've had a bit of a strange year thus far... The vast majority of the morels we've found have been very small (just a couple blacks and then what I'm assuming were either grays or tulips), and in general the quantity has been lower. This has been the case in all of our hotspots, and has also been the story for an avid hunter we're friends with who lives a few miles away as the crow flies. She's been very thrown by the lack of yellows and actually had yet to find one as of the last week of April, which is very strange. However, we've seen some photos of huge hauls from friends who live more down in the river valley (we're more up on a ridgetop). The main explanation I can think of is that we've had one hell of a rollercoaster with spring temps here (as I think much of Ohio has). I don't think we've had a string of truly warm days longer than 2 since late March, and have had some wicked cold nights, with more coming this week. My main question is: do you think that once we FINALLY get into regular late spring temps in a week or two (days in the 60s-70s, nights in the 50s), there could be a late bloom? Or is it more likely that the season has moved north and we'll just have to accept that this year was weird for those of us up on the ridge?

2. What are your philosophies on leaving morels to grow before picking them? Does it always make a big difference? Is there a cue for when you know they're not gonna get any bigger/fresher? The way they come up is still kind of a mystery to me, so I'd love to read any knowledge. I've been hunting for a long time but this year I've really dug into reading things online and am trying to become a better and wiser hunter.

Thank you, oracles!
As far as your questions about temperatures and the cold/weird spring we are having, I think it's a toss up. From what I've read the 3 things that can really stunt the season are: prolonged freeze, prolonged temps above 80degrees, and lack of rain/moisture. Look back in this archived thread from March and April, seems like most people were getting pretty good quantities from late March-April. But, forecast is showing it's gonna go from chilly nights with highs in the 50s, to seasonable lows with highs in the mid 70s. If those temps. hold in the 70s, we might have another week or 2 to find those large yellows in low lying areas that seem to be typical late in the season.

·
Registered
126 Posts

Thank you, oracles!
I was brought up to believe shrooms pop over night, after a rain etc.... If your talking black, yellow/gray sponge...No
Half free's or Tulips, i wouldn't say over night so much, but in a matter of days to full maturity, yes
Sponge will go from fruiting to full maturity over a period of a few weeks or more, when they are all done blacks will go from being pale to jet black and start to become thin walled and on the verge of being brittle, this can happen at 3" or 6" tall, depending on conditions
As far as when they fruit, it's been my experience that the majority of the entire seasons blacks or yellows will get started when the soil temp hits that range where they will fruit, if the temps stay in that window for an extended period of time and moisture is right...good season
To me, there never seems to be a second flush, to any extent, even know it may drop out of that window, then warms back up into range or vice versa if it's a situation where it gets too hot, then cools back down
I revisited a hillside this season, after it warmed back up, where we had found 4 lbs. of nice blacks before the cold snap, all I found were some that we had marked and left, they were at full maturity, some were on their last leg.
I also had started finding halfrees scattered before the cold came, they should have been ready to really come up good, the cold pretty much put a stop to that and the warm weather afterwards didn't get em going again.
Some of my worst seasons have come after I was finding decent sized blacks in late March or even early April, best seasons have been those that seemed to take forever to warm up, here in south central OH

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as your questions about temperatures and the cold/weird spring we are having, I think it's a toss up. From what I've read the 3 things that can really stunt the season are: prolonged freeze, prolonged temps above 80degrees, and lack of rain/moisture. Look back in this archived thread from March and April, seems like most people were getting pretty good quantities from late March-April. But, forecast is showing it's gonna go from chilly nights with highs in the 50s, to seasonable lows with highs in the mid 70s. If those temps. hold in the 70s, we might have another week or 2 to find those large yellows in low lying areas that seem to be typical late in the season.
Thank you! I'll definitely be back out regardless once it warms up, so we'll see if anything else pops up. It's just awful here today... Pouring rain with a freeze coming tonight. I'm sure it's even worse up north

I was brought up to believe shrooms pop over night, after a rain etc.... If your talking black, yellow/gray sponge...No
Half free's or Tulips, i wouldn't say over night so much, but in a matter of days to full maturity, yes
Sponge will go from fruiting to full maturity over a period of a few weeks or more, when they are all done blacks will go from being pale to jet black and start to become thin walled and on the verge of being brittle, this can happen at 3" or 6" tall, depending on conditions
As far as when they fruit, it's been my experience that the majority of the entire seasons blacks or yellows will get started when the soil temp hits that range where they will fruit, if the temps stay in that window for an extended period of time and moisture is right...good season
To me, there never seems to be a second flush, to any extent, even know it may drop out of that window, then warms back up into range or vice versa if it's a situation where it gets too hot, then cools back down
I revisited a hillside this season, after it warmed back up, where we had found 4 lbs. of nice blacks before the cold snap, all I found were some that we had marked and left, they were at full maturity, some were on their last leg.
I also had started finding halfrees scattered before the cold came, they should have been ready to really come up good, the cold pretty much put a stop to that and the warm weather afterwards didn't get em going again.
Some of my worst seasons have come after I was finding decent sized blacks in late March or even early April, best seasons have been those that seemed to take forever to warm up, here in south central OH
Thank you for your answer! My philosophy has been to pick them when they're on the verge of drying out or are obviously getting chewed on by bugs and slugs. We did leave one (gray, I believe) by an apple tree as an experiment this year, though... It was the size of my index finger when we picked all the others around it on Easter Sunday, and I'll be damned if it didn't double or triple in size by the time it got broken by an animal yesterday. I'll have to see if I can find some before and after photos...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Found my comparison photos for this one! First photo was taken April 12th, next April 16th, then April 25th, and finally May 2nd. I had no idea they could change that much and is the reason I was wondering about leaving them to grow. Can I get a species confirmation?

April 12th:
Apr12.jpg

April 16th:
Apr16.jpg

April 25th:
Apr25.jpg

May 2nd:
May2.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Found my comparison photos for this one! First photo was taken April 12th, next April 16th, then April 25th, and finally May 2nd. I had no idea they could change that much and is the reason I was wondering about leaving them to grow. Can I get a species confirmation?

April 12th:
View attachment 33244

April 16th:
View attachment 33246

April 25th:
View attachment 33248

May 2nd:
View attachment 33250
Excellent time line washcomorel, maybe one of the better ones I've seen...you'll get alot of use out of those pics, as there are many threads every year debating whether morels grow or pop

·
Registered
129 Posts

April 12th:
View attachment 33244

April 16th:
View attachment 33246

April 25th:
View attachment 33248

May 2nd:
View attachment 33250
Nice growth progression. You are more patient than I am ;) That is Morchella esculentoides (also known as Morchella esculenta and Morchella americana) or classic yellow morel, blond, sponge, etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
IMG_20200509_163418.jpg I'm finding some here in morrow county. There big ones or smaller tulips in heavy cover that got some protection from frost this morning.

301 - 320 of 344 Posts