Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

321 - 340 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #325 (Edited)
Franklin County - Central OH

I had that "Uh Oh!!" feeling today in Franklin County as these were the only two found. . . . Just a few days away from crumbling.

DSC01410.JPG

Going to Athens County Saturday even though it's two weeks later this year than when we scored nicely there last year. I'm still hoping the yo-yo spring weather slowed them down there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cerioporus squamosus. Pheasant back, Dryads saddle.
Sorry Norm forgot to quote, dont know how to add after i already replied.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Cerioporus squamosus. Pheasant back, Dryads saddle.
Sorry Norm forgot to quote, dont know how to add after i already replied.
Easy, peasy. Just put your cursor at the beginning of your reply and click to get the blinking vertical line that tells you where your typing will start. Go to the reply you want to quote and hit the quote button. Go back to your reply and hit "quote this message" or whatever it says, and it will appear immediately above your reply. Then, put your cursor behind the second [/QUOTE], and click Enter a time or two! This will put a nice space between the post you quoted and your reply!

It's not that hard. Just play around with it. That's how I figured this stuff out. How to post pics and such.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Rusty, I have to tell you that I have no idea! Maybe someone else can chime in. Also, a good picture of the gills, or underside of the cap, can help, Also, a spore print can be invaluable!

·
Registered
128 Posts
A word of caution for next year. This is the first time (year) I've found verpas in OH. Any newbies out there beware they look similar to half frees. Some folks in MI eat the caps but I stay away from them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Rusty -- This is a week later, but, take a look at or web search lacterus mushrooms with an image search and look at those. If you bruise the gills they exude a milky white liquid, hence the common name of milky cap.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was thinking of an explanation for this and I was thinking maybe it was because of the stay at home order.
It seemed to me more people were out than ever. The lock down came well before the morels started popping, and by the time they did people were ready to get out! Plus, being off work meant they had lots of time! Look at any lake that offers good fishing, they are mobbed!

321 - 340 of 344 Posts