Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

341 - 344 of 344 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
You've already taken the first step, there's a lot of knowledge right here. A few suggestions. Even if nobody gets in touch with you, get out there! That's how I learned. My first tips came from a couple of members of my fishing and hunting club who told me that morels grew on the property, and to look at elm and apple trees. Every other tip came here or from reading books and internet study.

I hope you have a digital camera. It doesn't have to be a real good one. I have a Nikon CoolPix L620 that I got for under $150 on sale at WalMart. Set it to take pics in the VGA format. That way you don't have to resize pic files to post here. Take pics in situ, and take a sample shroom for a good pic of the gills, and to do a spore print.

Learn your trees. Certain mushrooms have particular affinities for certain trees. The Ohio Division of Forestry website has ID tools that are great! A few other websites that you should be aware of are; Ohio Mycological Society, Ohio Game Fishing (has a "wild edibles" page), Mushroom Expert. com, Jim Volk's Mycoweb. All are great sources of info.

I wish you luck. I remember how I felt when I found my first morel! That was a decade ago, and it spurred me on to find more edible varieties. I'm up to about a dozen I guess, and ramps, a wild leek.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also check out some informational mushroom foraging videos by Learnyourland on YouTube and pick up a pocket guide like All the Rain Promises and More. Thats all I did. My coworker told me how to find morels on a jobsite and it's been an obsession ever since!

·
Registered
352 Posts
20200405_105221.jpg
here are all the field guides i use lots of good knowledge in them and if you still need help with identification just put some pictures on this site and pepple will help you out. Lots of us pay attention to a few different states and will be more than willing to offer a helping hand.

341 - 344 of 344 Posts