2020 - Ohio - Spring

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jan 15, 2020.

1. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I’m all up for that trip... Pick a date,figure how far south we need to go to find morels. We could search for morels by day banks by night and just keep heading north.. Of course we would never keep the money but hide it in different tree stumps or knot holes we found along the way. Sounds like a plan....ps. Just kidding about not keeping the money but you never know who is listening in.

2. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

I couldn't agree more Wade!

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.

3. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Now All of us ...Knowing that any prediction is just a Guess.. coupled with information and Our past seasons to compare it to...
    Still i Feel compelled to post that...
    from what i see and am Feeling is !!!
    This looks like the Making of a Very Normal Season for Everyone of Us
    from South and all the Way Northward
    as Our Progression Pop Pop Pops.
    but we just don't Really know, do we
    as for what is Certain;
    *The Mystery and Our Love of the Hunt
    Will Always Be....
    and in My Head and Heart I'm again and always, Waiting, Watching and Scouting and Hoping and Hunting & Hunting & Hunting, BELIEVEING and Knowing that one of these Seasons We Will all find Ourselves...
    Out There Standing right in the middle of the Biggest Popping FLUSH of Morels and Fungi
    that any of Us alive today have Ever seen..
    " The Hundred Year Hunt "
    i Remember My Great Grandad talking about it when i was just a Boy...
    There were So.. So Many Morels its all They ate for Months... Any a Place They would step in the woods..
    Morels Were Everywhere...
    i Believe and am sure this Same ..
    " Hundred Year Hunt "
    will happen again in Our Time....
    i Expect it.. i Have a Love for it..
    " I Won't Know if I Don't Go "
    So i keep Hunting....

4. jdaniels313

Spoken with true passion Wade! I hope it's THIS year for you guys. Good Luck to y'all!

Kokomorel likes this.
  5. wade

6. jdaniels313

Well, the temperatures have been right but we've had no rain since the beginning of January. I went out this weekend with high hopes but only found a couple "leaverites". (as in 'leave 'er right there') I'm continuing with a positive attitude though! At least the fishing has been good here!

7. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

True, we can never truly know how it's going to be. Last year seemed to be setting up perfectly, and I found some, but nothing like what I hoped for. Had to hike long and hard for them, but did uncover some new spots, so that was good. Hoping for good things this year. Good luck all.

1 person likes this.
  8. wade

Howdy John @JohnS42
    and to Any New Folks on Here.
    We Welcome You to Enjoy and be Happy.
    so..if you will go or have now gone back a few years and begin reading forward till present..
    you be finding yourself self..
    as if you are almost out there living and learning and exploring and enjoying right beside all of us Awesome Caracters..
    Woodsman Outdoorsman Naturalist
    self Reliant Last of the Frontiersmen..
    its an Everything Read...
    a Novel, a Poem, a Love story,
    an Adventure, a Hunters log, and a Drama
    a Comedy, a Documentary..
    its Also a Family with a Love for the Hunt
    its a Legacy..and its More.. its Anything and its Everything..
    and any Questions that anyone has are already Answered in all our Pages and Postings Past...
    After Reading You Should Feel Good..
    You Will Know Us..
    just all Good Good.. And Win Win
    So John ...Read Read... Enjoy Enjoy
    then Come back and Join in with us
    and then Ask Questions..
    Many of Us have Hunted, Hundreds and Hundreds again of Miles Loving looking Enjoying Learning.. Finding Morels and Other Fungi... and we are all good Friendly Folks here...
    and We will Help You John..
    Still i think Yourself putting in the Efforts Reading up to date Local and in near by States
    is of the First and Most Help with Benefits you can gain in No other way.
    go back John.. go back a few years
    and Read who we are and where we've been .. Then Join in With us Now..
    @JohnS42
    Thank You Sir
    from Wade..

John Wasko likes this.
  9. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

Does anyone know what happened to Scott Daytonish? It was all of his insults and accusations that egged me on to become a much better mushroom forager.

10. jim33

jim33 Morel Connoisseur

Unfortunately he got sick and passed away. Always liked seeing what he was getting into. This site has changed tremendously. I really miss seeing some of the posters of years ago. Was always paying attention to them. Always liked seeing Pedro’s post back in the day too.

1 person likes this.
  11. pedro

pedro Morel Connoisseur

I went to Scott"s viewing. When he first got started hunting we got together quite often. He is missed. There were several of his friends at the viewing and I finally had the chance to meet the people behind the handles. They shared a lot of stories.

morelseeeker likes this.
  12. wade

@morelseeeker @jim33 @pedro
    and all of Yall who knew this Good Man and Friend you speak of...
    "Scott Daytonish" whom passed away.
    i did not know him...
    still, its nice and hurts me, bitter sweet
    to here you speak of him.
    He must have really Loved being here with Yall.
    For All of Our Loved Ones that have passed
    I Hope We Can Hunt Together Again
    Someday Elsewhere.....

13. morelseeeker

I met up with Scott twice and went shrooming. I remember he used to run through the woods. He was a kook and fun to be around. I hope he didn't die from any kind of mushrooms.

1 person likes this.
  14. morelseeeker

Went out this weekend to scout an area that used to be private but now is public. It looked like a very good place and I believe it will become one of my favorite places. Although I didn't expect to find anything I did find a scarlet cup.

3 people like this.
  15. cwlake

cwlake Morel Connoisseur

I've heard others say that where you find scarlet cups, there a morels nearby!

16. KodiaksMama

KodiaksMama Young Morel

Better get it tagged by DNR if you're going to display it. They're serious about that stuff.

17. morelseeeker

?

18. morelseeeker

The location where I found that scarlet cup looked like a good place for blacks.

1 person likes this.
  19. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

What would you suggest as a "good place for blacks". Never found one.

20. sharpsbarn99

sharpsbarn99 Morel Enthusiast

Hey Ohio foragers! Looking forward to the 2020 season in the mushroom woods. Still a few weeks to go, but it's a good time to hit the woods and scope out potential spots before the itty bitty baby morels pop.

We'll see what the coming weeks of weather hold for us, but the warm (lack of) winter makes me suspect an early start to our season in SW Ohio. I have found big yellows and grays as early as April 1 down here, while finding fresh blacks at the same time in NKY. It really is a strange little zone in the Cincinnati area. BUT, who knows??? If we get a late cold snap comes, all bets are off!

I'm excited to take a couple of first timers out to show them how to do it the right way. Can't wait to see everyone's finds!

1 person likes this.