2020 - OHIO - SUMMER

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by sb, Jun 8, 2020.

1. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

With Summer just 2 weeks away, I'm beginning to think about Chanterelles and Reishi and Oysters and perhaps, early Lions Mane!

I found a new 75 acre Chanterelle woods to try this year . . . that would be early July.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  2. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

There are a few guys on Ohio Game Fishing finding Oysters. After this rain passes through I'll have to get out there again.
    Pretty hot today. Thinking that might give the Chants a kick in the butt as well.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.

3. david oakes

david oakes Morel Enthusiast

Been finding oyster last two weeks. Warren county

1 person likes this.
  4. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Central OH, Ha! My wife is encouraging me to get out and find some Chanterelles.
    Well . . . because she loves the Chanterelle, Corn & Yellow Wax Bean chowder I make each year.

I think I'll get out Monday, tomorrow, and see how things look.

Kokomorel likes this.
  5. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

6. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Let me know how you do I’m headed out Monday in Indiana

2 people like this.
  7. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hi Kokomorel - I did get out today (Monday) and into my favorite Chanterelle woods. No Chanterelles.

I found nice moisture in the forest floor. So if we get some rains over the next several weeks we will have a normal Chant season here. I took a few pics, too, but it was obvious very quickly that this was just a quick scouting event.

I did look at my past 7 years and the dates of my first Chanterelle pics. For me it is usually July 7 for Central OH. (Franklin County). One year my first was June 29. All the rest were in July with a July 6th, 7th and two 8's

8. Kokomorel

Kokomorel Morel Connoisseur

Pretty much the same finds you’re having not bad moisture just gonna take some heat I am thinking first week of July I’t be pretty decent as long as things stay the same in moisture stays in the ground and we have some heat

2 people like this.
  9. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

I don't start looking for chanterelles until all the orange "trumpet" flowers are out in full force. Typically mid July for my area of Northern ohio

2 people like this.
  10. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Zabz - that sounds like a workable indicator, even for Central OH

11. shroomsearcher

Are you talking about the "ditch lilies"?

Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  12. jpfootball57

jpfootball57 Morel Enthusiast

I start hitting my chant spots after July fourth in southern ohio. Definitely need some rain though.

1 person likes this.
  13. shroomsearcher

I realized that my next door neighbor has some ditch lilies planted in her flower bed. They are nearly as tall as I am, but the buds are pretty small, and it will be a while until they open.

I figure about mid-July as well! And that's about the time I found my first last year!

1 person likes this.
  14. JBwoodsman

JBwoodsman Morel Enthusiast

I think I found some dead chanterelles today. Can anyone verify? 7F4C4FA6-32BB-4E10-807C-CD1920EFFA85.jpeg 041A4676-A79C-4A4A-8E18-7C83F165FCF7.jpeg C4A411FA-36EF-4677-ACC8-18D31D9B4E9F.jpeg B51F0184-89AF-4B4B-8C11-0D06F36AA444.jpeg 6EDDBCC6-DCDE-4F91-A837-4BEF457246A0.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
  15. shroomsearcher

Anything growing from wood are not Chants. Chants grow from the ground. Some of those appear to be growing from wood. And my earlier estimate of mid-July turned out to be wrong. The Tiger Lilies are blooming right now! I'm seeing them everywhere. So, I'm heading out tomorrow to have a look at that oak, beech, maple ridge!

1 person likes this.
  16. Zabz

Zabz Morel Connoisseur

They do tend to grow in ditches!

17. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Hocking County - SE Ohio

This is going to be a good year for Reishi mushrooms. All these Red Reishi are from a morning hunt yesterday morning.

DSC01498.JPG

The woods were magnificient!

DSC01475.JPG

If you are looking for these you need to get into steep hills with deep gorges and cliffs with lots of hemlock. Put on you finest billy goat style.

Once home, it was slice them and dry them . . . to be used later for a 2 stage (medicinal) extract.

DSC01500.JPG

Kokomorel, Zabz and (deleted member) like this.
  18. shroomsearcher

Had a chance to get out for a walk in the woods today, but found nothing! We're getting the temps but have been very dry. We need some rain to get things moving. Last year we got drowned in June, this year we're dying of thirst!

19. sb

sb Morel Connoisseur

Central OH - Franklin County

Chants or No Chants -- That is the Question?

Look at these teeny, tiny Chanterelle babies! I had to go to the middle of the woods and under 2 & 3 canopies of foliage to find enough moisture in the forest floor for these to have started.

Some rain showers will help, for sure! Season just beginning.

DSC01508.JPG

Kokomorel likes this.
  20. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

Slim Pickens but they are starting but need rain. 0703201609.jpg