Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
morelseeker - Nice pickings! What county in Ohio?

For me in Central Oh (Franklin County) , what I'm wondering right now is how many different woods I should try without waiting for my favorite chanterelle spots to fruit.

For example, the spot I profiled and pictured above (post # 19) , may be just 5 miles from a spot that got a dense rain band dropping 1/2 or 3/4" of greater rainfall in the last rain event. That spot just 5 miles away will be sprouting and growing harvestable Chanterelles right now.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
shroomsearcher -- Well, you're absolutely right.

But Just how do you determine where the localized rain fell and how much. Last night I got up at 4:00am and looked out the back window and saw a beautiful waning moon in the clear sky. Then I saw a flash coming from the east facing windows and went to look.

There was a huge thunder head to the east some 15 to 50 miles away and it was being illuminated by lightening. The thunderhead just sat there, dumping rain.

So this morning I started looking for better ways to determine and locate localized downpours. Last week I got 1/2 inch in the back yard and the 3 airports around me at 6, 8. 11 miles all reported nothing.

What I found this morning was iweathernet.com which mapped and showed this mornings thunderhead spot received 3.78 inches of rain at the center of the rain pattern.

Here's a 12 hour lookback for NE OH showing a location that got over 2" of rain.

I saw a widgit on there where you can track numerous areas so perhaps it's possible to load in numerous spots and have it tract the rain in each location. That would be great! I'v got to put some more time into this.

. . .And it is raining outside as I write this; another localized pop-up shower.

Shroomsearcher - this is for your area - composed at 5:00pm today and for 12 hrs. You can pinpoint any spot and it will tell the rainfall for that spot.
NE OH Rainfall.png

Another helpful site I have yet to explore may be rainfall.willyweather.com.

Happy hunting Everyone.

AND if anyone has some good ways or sites for tracking the localized rain we are talking about here, Please Share it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
shroomsearcher -- Well, you're absolutely right.

But Just how do you determine where the localized rain fell and how much. Last night I got up at 4:00am and looked out the back window and saw a beautiful waning moon in the clear sky. Then I saw a flash coming from the east facing windows and went to look.

There was a huge thunder head to the east some 15 to 50 miles away and it was being illuminated by lightening. The thunderhead just sat there, dumping rain.

So this morning I started looking for better ways to determine and locate localized downpours. Last week I got 1/2 inch in the back yard and the 3 airports around me at 6, 8. 11 miles all reported nothing.

What I found this morning was iweathernet.com which mapped and showed this mornings thunderhead spot received 3.78 inches of rain at the center of the rain pattern.

Here's a 12 hour lookback for NE OH showing a location that got over 2" of rain.

I saw a widgit on there where you can track numerous areas so perhaps it's possible to load in numerous spots and have it tract the rain in each location. That would be great! I'v got to put some more time into this.

. . .And it is raining outside as I write this; another localized pop-up shower.

Shroomsearcher - this is for your area - composed at 5:00pm today and for 12 hrs. You can pinpoint any spot and it will tell the rainfall for that spot.
View attachment 35878

Another helpful site I have yet to explore may be rainfall.willyweather.com.

Happy hunting Everyone.

AND if anyone has some good ways or sites for tracking the localized rain we are talking about here, Please Share it.

Thanks.
This is a hard thing to figure . This time of year storms pop up almost every afternoon. I think we all have had a conversation with someone who lives only miles away where they are getting a down pour and we are getting nothing or we drive right threw a storm to find nothing but dry pavement on the other side... The more samples anyone takes for rainfall will make any map more accurate but it’s all filled in with a best guess.....my suggestion is to place open tin can near your best shroom sights and when you go to look to see how much rain has fallen ......look for shrooms .... it can’t hurt.... Best of luck to all...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
redfred - One year the local schools were putting out rain guages and posting the rainfall amounts on a website. That made for lots of real measurement points, but the system only lasted one season.

What iweathernet.com does is take the radar data and analyze if with some complex math to determine or estimate how much rain hit the ground in any particular spot.

On the 8th I printed out a map for my own area and found a spot that got 3.39 inches of rain in a 72 hour period. It was just a 4 mile circle or so. Tomorrow I'm going to a park within that rainfall 5 mile footprint and walk the woods to see if the mushrooms I find make sense or validate that the area likely did get 3.4 inches of rain 5 days prior.

. . . more later

·
Registered
98 Posts

I believe this is a Cauliflower Mushroom, does anyone have experience with these for identifying and if it is one...is it delicious?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sure looks like it. Go to mushroom expert.com for more info and how to get a spore print. I have read that they are delicious, a choice edible. If that's what you've found, nice find!

I once read this mushroom described as a "ruffed collar"! Well. what does that pic look like? Although I know you can't depend upon looks alone!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Rainfall on the ground compared to map showing rainfall.
Adding on to post # 25 above, I got out this morning to the area that showed 3.4" of rain 5 days ago on the map and found only 2 mushrooms in a 1.9 mile walk through woods even though there was plenty of moisture in the ground. I attributed the ground moisture to rains more recent than the 5 day prior map/print and rain tally.

Hmmm, . . . may have to rethink of how I may use this web site (iweathernet.com) for assessing localized rainfall.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well, there are no guarantees. We've had two good rains the past two days, and I'm hoping to see that got the Chants to pop on the ridge where I found them last year. But, who knows?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
One Thing Leads to Another . . .
Franklin County - Central OH

Today, I went back to the spot of post #19 above after 11 days and got a few Chanterelles, below:

. . . which, of course, led to this:

Chanterelle Scrambled Eggs with Shredded Chedder Cheese, Cherry Tomatoes, Cape Gooseberries, Rianier Cherries and Parsley.

Very satisfying!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Red Reishi Review

Yesterday I was in Hocking County with friends and walked up the trail in the bottom of Conkles Hollow State Nature preserve.

As it is a State Nature Preserve, I counted but did not pick any of the nice 35 or so Red Reishi mushrooms hanging off various dead Hemlock.

Probably, most Hemlock Gorges in SE Ohio will have Red Reishi right now. There's lots of public state park and state forest land that is open. I never see any other mushroom hunters myself this time of year, in that area.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Central OH - Franklin County

Nice fresh Oyster mushrooms on the 13th. My buddy took all of them because he likes to dry and powder them. (I took the Chanterelles)

Happy hunting everyone!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Chants are finally starting in my area. The rain got them going. Tons of spikes all over the place, and was able to find 8 to 10 usable size ones. I think all that I found today are smooth Chants because there is no sign of a false gill on any of them!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Was supposed to get more rain yesterday, but we only got a brief, heavy 10 minute shower with about a 20 minute sprinkle after. Still, I went back to the ridge.

The place where I found a bunch of sprouts, with a few usable ones, still only contained little spikes. So, I went to a certain point and headed down the ridge. I hit a spot that I know of that gave up quite a few nice ones! Lower down the ridge equals more moisture. The odd thing was that my honey hole from last year, the swale or draw that runs off that ridge only gave me one really nice Chant! Kind of surprising.

But I think I know what it is. I'm a little early this year. Of the 15 or so Chants I gathered today, only 2 had a single bug hole in the stem. Every other one was totally solid! That's kind of nice! Many of the Chants I found last year had stems just riddled with bug holes! Rather be early than late!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Got all the yard work done today, so heading out tomorrow morning on that ridge. Already have the alarm set so I can get out there when it's still cool! Last thing I like is slogging around in the heat!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its like 15 degrees cooler in the woods. What a place to be. Found about 10 lbs of chants and a couple tender pounds of chickens. The absolute most tender, like if it were a deer it would still have the white spots. It almost feels unethical, but bwhahahah it is a feast!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts