Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
You may be wondering what I'm doing with all of these chants. Well I have two dehydrators going. I'm going to make some into a spinach soup recipe I like and also add some asparagus. I happened to find a few on a hillside at the start of a ravine with lots of beach trees so I followed the ravine back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Didn't have much time in the woods for photos but I did find about 20 big (cantherellus persicinus) peach chanterelles. Only in one small area so I left them but I remember where.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Holy cow! And I thought I had a nice day! Found more Chants and a fresh Chicken log. And I know the log is fresh, because it's in a County Metropark, and there's a wide hiking path leading you right past the log, and along the ridge.

I've been hiking that ridge for years, and have never seen chickens on that log. Didn't see them 4 or 5 days ago, the last time I was there. Today, I spotted them about 70 yards away!

I was getting some when a park cop drove past on the road that is quite visible from the log. He didn't stop or turn around, but I got away from there anyway and found some Chants. My way back to the truck took me past the log again, so I stopped to get more. As I was slicing away, I hear a voice ask, "What are you doing there?" YAAAAGGGGHHHH! I'm busted!

Turned out to be a lady just walking the trail. So, I told her what the mushrooms were, why I was harvesting them, how I knew they were not poisonous, and she found it all interesting!

·
Registered
126 Posts
1.78 pounds which is 28.5 oz of dehydrated chanterelles from 25 pounds of fresh. Found out to grind them course then dehydrate to get a more intense flavor. Just finished them today. Back to the woods tomorrow.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Central OH - Franklin County

A nice sack of prime Chanterelles this morning . . . finally!!

I tried several new prospective places that had gotten sufficient rain but to no avail. So it was back to my "Best Chanterelle Woods" even though it didn't show great rainfall levels on the cumulative rainfall maps (Rainfall totals for the last 24 hours to 3 days - high resolution map – iWeatherNet). Click on a specific spot after drill-down to your locale and it will give you the rainfall for that specific location over your choice of time frames. I do 72 hrs and recheck every 3 days.

Back, now to my "Best Chanterelle Woods": Bingo . . . there were lots of fresh Chants and enough forest floor moisture to continue development for the next 3 days at least. The ones I picked were young - fresh, & bug free. How to cook them? . . . . .

Back to the first woods, I visited. I found a "trail camera" analogue that is for taking census of bats. It was on an abandoned road through public hunting land and the microphone sensor was pointing down the abandoned road to count the chirping bats that flew along the tunnel formed by the tree canopy along the single lane road.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Didn't find many in the morning just in the afternoon. All together just about what I had found the first time. This time 27 1/2 pounds. Counting 2 pounds I found earlier in another area I'm at 74 pounds. Found 58 pounds last year so I'm done with chants. Wish I had a big dehydrator. 😩🍄

41 - 59 of 59 Posts