Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Joel, my daughter and I would like to go out foraging for some morels. Can you give us some advice on areas to search. We are in the Spartanburg area.
I generally focus on South facing slopes in a mixed hardwood forest/woods with elm trees, ash trees, and poplar trees. Once you find them pay attention to your ecosystem and you will discover more clues of what to look for when you are out hunting for morels. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Found the first two of the season.
This is my first season hunting Morels. I'm up in Oconee County. From everything I've read and looked at, my surrounding area seems like the perfect habitat for Morels. Several creeks, hills and valleys mixed in with some flat sorta grassy areas with a lot of tulip trees, oaks and elms. Its dark sandy soil with many dead and dying hardwoods. I'm hoping we get this little ol rain Tuesday and I can find my first one by weeks end!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is my first season hunting Morels. I'm up in Oconee County. From everything I've read and looked at, my surrounding area seems like the perfect habitat for Morels. Several creeks, hills and valleys mixed in with some flat sorta grassy areas with a lot of tulip trees, oaks and elms. Its dark sandy soil with many dead and dying hardwoods. I'm hoping we get this little ol rain Tuesday and I can find my first one by weeks end!
It certainly would not hurt to take a walk after Tuesdays rain to see if any morels are fruiting in the area. Good luck and happy hunting!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts