Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ramps up! Founds these today along the Canal Trail in Cheshire. Tons of skunk cabbage around, saw some wild onions too. Weather looks great Monday, may head to the woods looking for patches that 100 dogs haven't pissed on (unlike the canal trail) though I don't imagine they will be harvestable for another week or 2 though I'm not very experienced with these, first I've ever found! :)
20200404_150342_resized.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ramps up! Founds these today along the Canal Trail in Cheshire. Tons of skunk cabbage around, saw some wild onions too. Weather looks great Monday, may head to the woods looking for patches that 100 dogs haven't pissed on (unlike the canal trail) though I don't imagine they will be harvestable for another week or 2 though I'm not very experienced with these, first I've ever found! :)
View attachment 27096
Nice I know I’ve seen a lot. Of these ramps fishing the rivers. Didn’t know if their delectable table fareness. Looking forward to a month or so when the morel season starts. Been reading up a lot from here in CT NY and PA

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
View attachment 27096
How you make out yesterday?. More weather like today the season may begin early. Haven’t checked soil temps at all tho

·
Registered
18 Posts
How you make out yesterday?. More weather like today the season may begin early. Haven’t checked soil temps at all tho
Hit the East Block of Naugatuck State Forest yesterday... nothing...just some skunk cabbage in the wet spots and some type of lily, maybe lily-of-the-valley, no flowers yet...elevations are higher there though so growth is delayed, was hoping to spot some ramp patches for later collection.

Hit some low areas at West Rock today...no ramps but I did see Trout Lilys blooming so things are certainly progressing!

Two great days to be outside!

Trout lily
20200407_151158.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to check out my ramp spot here in NW CT and they were everywhere! I don't know if I just didn't notice them the last few years, but up the hill from where I pick the whole hillside was covered. More than an acre. I harvested a few babies (I couldn't wait!). They were delicious!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to check out my ramp spot here in NW CT and they were everywhere! I don't know if I just didn't notice them the last few years, but up the hill from where I pick the whole hillside was covered. More than an acre. I harvested a few babies (I couldn't wait!). They were delicious!
Wow, nice find! What sort of elevations were you at - river bottoms or up high?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
being that the days are 60 at times but night still hits 30''s id assume the morels wont pop when that happens? 60-70 during days and mid to high 40's for a week or two id think the morels would begin to pop? even though we did have such weather one week a few weeks ago it got cold again, I would think the ground would wanna be 50/60 for a min of a week. other than that I keep an eye out for the other indicators of trees and other plants to sorta judge when the time may be right

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My first Morrels, found today near a apply stump. Picked these and left a few to see if they grow any after tomorrow's big rain.

View attachment 28130
Nice. I prob seen as a dumb kid n kicked em hope these don’t turn into grouse for me. Where I learn all about em and never see one for the next 15 years trying Weather looked good the other day 60’s at night 40’s nights then this cold snap came in

1 - 13 of 13 Posts