Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Jamesh, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

I have been noticing plenty of signs and despite the cold/snow forecasted for today I think we are not too far off.

Seems that GA, AL and SC are on the map.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  2. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

Aiken Co. SC, just across the river from Augusta, GA., is the only verified find so far, from 2/14. A guy in Madison Co. GA, near Athens, claimed to have picked and eaten "about 21" of them a week ago, on 2/13, but he had no documentation to show he was telling the truth, nothing with a date-stamp on it. It's flooding here now and the temps are set to go down to about 26 degrees around Atlanta for the next 3 nights...

1 person likes this.

3. NCRealEstateGuy

NCRealEstateGuy Morel Enthusiast

Im in the Charlotte area. Nothing here yet, but it's early. I usually start looking during the last week of March. Hopefully, much better than last season.

swampcat likes this.
  4. theshroomster

theshroomster Morel Enthusiast

@NCRealEstateGuy...I'm up in Concord. I usually wait for the forsythia's to bloom then its about 2 weeks after that...what side of town are you on?

swampcat likes this.
  5. NCRealEstateGuy

I also live in Concord. You wouldn't happen to be a dentist, would you?
    My Forsythias are blooming. I find that it is peak season when the Dogwood flowers have turned from green to white. I'll check a couple spots here in about 10 days or so.

eidolon likes this.
  6. theshroomster

Not a dentist, wish I was. Kinda waiting around to get reports outta Georgia. Let me know when you hit the jackpot. I still have 3 quart bags in the freezer from last year... :)

7. NCRealEstateGuy

I will report findings here. You do the same, please. My goal this year is to find at least two or three new spots that produce at least 20 morels. I lost two or three spots over the last two years to development.

8. theshroomster

...Dang...this is too early it seems.... found in Mecklenburg.

upload_2020-3-7_18-16-18.png

swampcat and (deleted member) like this.
  9. NCRealEstateGuy

Well, I suppose it's about time to start looking, huh?

swampcat likes this.
  10. eidolon

eidolon Morel Connoisseur

The finder of those in Mecklenburg said (on facebook) it was from a little area that is always early. There are places like that for all kinds of plants. It's just weird. A guy down near Athens GA claimed to have found about 20 on 2/13. He didn't have any kind of date-stamped receipt and people, including me, ragged him about it, but I had the sense that he was probably telling the truth. I still haven't seen reports of anyone else in GA finding them that far north to date, 3 weeks later (it's been raining and chilly almost every day in that time period)

Bob Gosnell and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Bob Gosnell

Bob Gosnell Young Morel

I was born in Jacksonville moved to Wisconsin at age 2 so don't remember it at all Both my cousins live in N.C though don't know if they morel hunt probably not. Always wanted to get back down their, someday I will and it will be around this time to hopefully morel hunt. Still got a bit to go up in southern Wisconsin but heck today high 60ish low in 40s, if right looked at weather for next couple of weeks and looking beautiful 50s for highs low mid 30s to 40 so wont be much longer I hope going crazy seeing some of these pictures. Last year was my 1st year hunting otherwise used to buy them not much maybe a pound every spring but though why spend money go out and find and who knows maybe find enough to sell haha. Didn't find enough for that between 3 to 5 lbs but boy am I hooked now. Ever since last year driving around I'm always looking for spots to go look. But best of luck to you all and hope you have a great spring hunt!!

swampcat and (deleted member) like this.
  12. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Swain County this morning. First of the year for me. Ten days earlier than last year. 1584458497706.jpg

13. theshroomster

....Ding ding ding!.... found about 1 1/2lbs of early tulips... hopefully the fatties will be out next weekend. Be nice if we get some steady rain....

Groho and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Found one while on a walk this afternoon. About 1” of rain forecasted overnight for the piedmont, and warmer weather to follow.

Excited!

F12A5509-4E3B-49E7-A2FD-261D4602517C.jpeg

15. Hopewell Harvest

Hopewell Harvest Young Morel

F1515D15-57BD-4C60-B4A4-333838E3B4B8.jpeg Picked my first one of the season in Huntersville,NC 3/25/20
    Found this on a walk in the woods yesterday

Groho and (deleted member) like this.
  16. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Western Swain County, 3/26. 0326201552_HDR.jpg

Jamesh likes this.
  17. Joey Pryor

Joey Pryor Young Morel

Found a few small ones today in Uwharrie National Forest. F9655B33-37AD-4567-877E-A57325274D85.jpeg

18. Shroomynoob

Shroomynoob Young Morel

Has anyone ever found morels in or around Lenoir NC? This is my first year and I've got the fever bad. I've been prospecting some promising looking areas and found nothing. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thanks