Discussion in 'North Carolina' started by Jamesh, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Bob Gosnell

Bob Gosnell Morel Enthusiast

I agree, I think the first reported find was feb.13th and they are still finding them in Georgia I think. That is a very long time to find morels, a heck of a good season hope it's like that up here in Wisconsin!!

Inthewild likes this.
  2. john cloer

john cloer Morel Enthusiast

Nice!! Always know when you score that it's just about go time here in Waynesville..

1 person likes this.

3. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

A few more today, wondering if this rain will keep anything coming?
    66CDF7A6-DEF3-4E35-81D0-0D2FD4B76FDB.jpeg B770001D-E4EA-49EC-9D3D-2B9B7DFFAF23.jpeg

4. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

1585242506690.jpg Went back to the same area I hunted on earlier in the week (see above post) 1585242506690.jpg on 3/28 and found about 60 or so more. On Thursday 3/26 the area looked more like a swamp with water literally running thru it from recent rains. It had dried up a bit but the ground was still real spongy. The attached photo show 2 morels literally growing off of a tree trunk. This spot is two weeks early this year. I am still finding fresh yellows on my property in Swain county.

Jamesh likes this.
  5. Shroomynoob

Shroomynoob Young Morel

Finally found some in Caldwell. This is my first season and I covered these lil guys up and left them. Do y'all think they will continue to grow? To be fair that Devil's ern was pretty big. 20200402_092314.jpg 20200402_091505.jpg

6. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Monday 4/6, went back to my favorite area in Western Swain county that had been producing lots of yelos. Only found about 20, mostly ones that I had missed a week or so before. Most were a bit on the dry side and the woods had really dried out. Looks like it is time to head up higher and look for tulip morels. This particular area has produced about 175 total for the year which is about double what it usually does. This spot always seems to be prime around April 5-15, so about 10 days early this year.

7. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Checked a spot at higher elevation in Swain County this morning to see if the tulip morels have started. Found about 50 or so and left to pick later. Was pleasantly surprised to find a nice patch of blacks. 0407201259.jpg 0407201300a.jpg 0407201300a.jpg

8. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Trifecta kind of day in Swain County. Tulip morels just starting to come in, a nice bunch of blacks and a few leftover yelos. All from the same hillside at about 4000 feet elevation. 0409201405a.jpg

9. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Thought I would give a last look at my higher elevation patch today not really expecting to find many. Was in this spot last Saturday and came home with 40 tulip morels. Rain on Sunday must have kicked them into gear again. Was shocked when I emptied my bag and counted 115 for the day. May have to check 2 more spots in the same area that I had thought were done for the year.

10. trowe

trowe Morel Enthusiast

Checked my high elevation spot for grins on 4/24, not really expecting much since I had had a good day there on Monday. Surprised to count another 110 in my bag when I got home. Need 36 more to make and even 700 for the year which would be a personal best for me.

1 person likes this.
  11. lkramer

lkramer Young Morel

I just moved to the Durham/Chapel Hill area from WI, where I would go morel hunting with my dad. In WI morels are super abundant and I never had any problem finding them. We actually would get a few pounds just from our back yard. Anyone have any spots they would be willing to share? I'd be forever grateful as I have hiked nearly 100 miles (according to fitbit) trying to find them. I typically only ever go once a year and never clear out a patch because I want them to come back. So I promise I wouldn't ruin it for you. I'd even give you have of everything I pick.

12. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

It seems like they are about wrapped up for the year in this area, but you never know if you don’t go. And after all that hot, dryness that essentially seemed to end the season about a month ago, we’ve had beautiful, mild weather with consistent rain...

13. Jamesh

Jamesh Morel Enthusiast

Found my first one on March 24.

If you head to the mountains, and higher elevations?

14. Milikin

Milikin Morel Enthusiast

Hi All, new to the area. How is picking in Hayward county by Waynesville. Pisgah forest looks like a good area.