Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would recommend looking for dead elms year round and marking them on a mapping tool. Then, when it’s mushroom season you are looking for mushrooms instead of dead elms. Start with the warmest dead elms (south facing/lots of sun), and cover lots of miles. The elms have a shelf life. Once they lose most of their bark and start producing pheasant backs they are pretty much done. I like to go out and find mushrooms, then go get the beginners or kids so they have a good experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So I'd love some advice! My husband and I have been (unsuccessfully) morel hunting for years. We occassionally find one or two, but in general we are terrible. I don't know if it is timing or what. We are exclusively on public land. We have read these forums and try to check the areas everyone talks about (elms, apple trees, etc). We still enjoy going just for kicks but we are trying to make it fun for our young kids as well, and if we don't have some luck they're going to boycott one of these days! Any advice? Thinking about taking them out somewhere this Friday or Saturday. We are around Sparta/Cashton/Wilton area. Thanks in advance!
Tell them to be very quiet...or the morels jump underground 😂 and there's many other things to be seen in the woods.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts