Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
141 - 160 of 164 Posts
Mushrooms may be over but I did catch a cat phish the other day. lol

[IMG alt="Juliamanita"]https://www.morels.com/d1/avatars/m/33/33149.jpg?1620864002[/IMG]
Juliamanita
·Registered
Joined 7 d ago
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 7 d ago

My name is Julie, I’m turning 24 this summer and I am located in Monroe County.
I have searched soooo much and have only found 2 morels this season. I was wondering if there’s anyone out there who wants to go hunting with me, and knows any spots.

Reply Quote

I enjoy the enthusiasm but don’t get your hopes up too high.
If you are done then you are done.
I know what's going on, been picking morels for years! Dont need your negativity.
I havent wasted much time this season, till now to find morels. I know the conditions for them to grow, but I guess that you know more than me, so go catch yourself some cat(phish) fish. lol
I will be loading my bags guaranteed!
Good luck fellow schroomers

I know what's going on, been picking morels for years! Dont need your negativity.
I havent wasted much time this season, till now to find morels. I know the conditions for them to grow, but I guess that you know more than me, so go catch yourself some cat(phish) fish. lol
I’m just reporting on how the conditions this season impacted things here. I’m not questioning your skills and never would as I don’t know you or where you are.
I too have picked for years though I’ve never claimed to be an expert and I never will. Just my observations.
Good luck with filling your bag! I hope you do great!

Is there any such thing as a guarantee when it comes to mushroom hunting?! I haven't been hunting all that long, took it up in my mid 50's. 4 years ago I decided to put the hen of the woods, Grifola frondosa, on my bucket list. Pics of harvests set me off. I remembered that when I was a kid my Grandma cooked pasta and sauce with hens. It was phenomenal! Didn't need meatballs in there with the hens1 I also remembered where she used to live, and that a neighbor would give her these mushrooms.

Her old abode was very near a large park, and checking the map I saw some potential places to hunt. I hunted down in there and I found them like crazy! Man! Did I enjoy that late Summer/early Fall! So, thinking I had it wired tight, I headed down there the next year, a much drier year than the one previous. Since they are parasites on oaks I didn't think the precip would make any difference. But, apparently it does, because I didn't find crap that year!

I typically read this forum to try to find the right weekend to go. I hunt a friends land 1.5 hours away. The weekend I picked I brought my brother. (His 1st time). We found 2.25lbs. He enjoyed it so much he wanted to go again the next weekend. (Last weekend). We found another 1 pound. They were all alot bigger than the week before. We had to hunt alot more but found some and had fun. We
probably missed these the previous weekend? No clue how this whole thing works. Just happy to find them.

Plant Leaf Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant
Plant Natural landscape Flower Grass Groundcover
Cempedak Food Ingredient Yellow Cuisine

I'd say Morels are done in my woods. Was able to salvage a couple dozen, but left behind 60 or so that were crumbling or rotten. Did come across a couple nice logs plump full of golden oysters though. What started as a promising year, turned out to be pretty disappointing. Oh well, got more time to spend in garden now. See ya in 11 months!

agreed, we are struggling here. Spent about 3 hours driving/searching using our tried and true methods that have been bountiful in the past came home with a dismal few. was too cold and dry for too long, now hot and wet. might get a few more, but 2021 is one of our least prosperous years (as far as morel harvest goes, everything else is awesome :))

141 - 160 of 164 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.