Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2021 BADGER STATE morel Season.

38K views 163 replies 37 participants last post by  elmgirl 
#1 ·
#2 ·
How about after a half foot of snow? South facing steep south slopes? And I have always done much better on a waxing Gibbous personally. What's up Old Elm? You guys getting a normal winter up there? We were running way warm until this week. Some nice sub zero days and a layer of snow have things frosty now. Below zero through next Wed. it looks like. Won't most likely break any records, but the ground froze hard like it should. Nothing to you Northerners, but 10 below is cold down here On the other hand by mid April we could be 90 degrees with 60 percent humidity and no leaves on trees yet. Sweating buckets while picking morels usually means a short season.

#3 ·
Question here. Does anyone remember the year we had 70s and 80s for like 2 weeks in March, then it cooled down to below normal to normal temps in end of March April. How was morel season that year. Did they fruit early or normal time. I know the warm stretch we are getting in southern Wisconsin won't be like that. Starting this weekend highs low 60s then lows in the low to mid 40s and looks almost like that for the next 10 days after. You think that it could cause a few to pop early, but not a lot. Or just most likely fruit like a normal year. My 3rd year hunting so just curious. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all and best of luck

#18 ·
I was scanning pictures from last year. We're 5-7 days ahead of last year. And we didn't have all this moisture last spring. Not where I live. Anywhoo ✌🏻😎 Bucky...
And just like that, productivity at work is going to grind to a halt for the next month. View attachment 37341 View attachment 37342 hopefully 6 weeks or more, but can't get too greedy. Early blacks are popping up.
Was that alone soldier?..

#22 ·
Happy New Year/New Season folks ! Good to see some of the usual suspects are still here. Getting antsy here in GB. Neighbor has a few up in his woods in NE WI. But oddly he gets them a few weeks sooner that other areas. Glad to have some rain finally, was to dog nabbit dry. Might be a bit early to thaw the ribeyes LOL. more to follow soon, very soon.

#28 ·
Since it looks like we're going to be waiting a while with this frost tonight, and since were talking about suckers anyway, I was wondering if any of you folks could recommend a decent, active(ish) Wisconsin fishing forum. The ones I've found rarely have more than a handful of posts less than a few months old.

#30 ·
I may change my mind for tomorrow. In fact I just did. I KNOW that the ramps are up, so that's what I'm going to go and get! I also know that it's really too early for morels here after having a look around today. So, I will gather what is growing.

It's kind of like going out fishing for walleye, only to find out that the walleye aren't biting, but the crappie and perch are! Why beat your head against the wall? Fish for crappie and perch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.