Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to site, been lurking for over a year. I harvest beautiful chickens and hens on my 7 acres every year, but would love to find some morels. Any advice appreciated, or even a foraging meet-up. Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey brother, I’m in North Jersey. I don’t think anyone especially in NJ will show you spots. In general this NJ page is dead it seems. The learn your land guy on you tube has more info than I could give you here. Watch a few of his video. He’s got some on morels and how to find them. watch his tree id video and use that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nooo! don't say the NJ page is dead, let's breathe life into it! I've still only ever found a single morel ever in my life (Northern Jersey). Didn't find any last year, hoping to find my second (and hopefully much more) this year! There was a decently active thread last year. I learned a good bit. Still have a lot to learn though. It's not easy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey brother, I’m in North Jersey. I don’t think anyone especially in NJ will show you spots. In general this NJ page is dead it seems. The learn your land guy on you tube has more info than I could give you here. Watch a few of his video. He’s got some on morels and how to find them. watch his tree id video and use that.
Bowguy:
Thanks for the reply, and the tip. Will check out the "learn your land guy" on YT. Once fall arrives, if you'd like to share some delicious Hen of the Woods from my property, I'm happy to share.
Hugh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nooo! don't say the NJ page is dead, let's breathe life into it! I've still only ever found a single morel ever in my life (Northern Jersey). Didn't find any last year, hoping to find my second (and hopefully much more) this year! There was a decently active thread last year. I learned a good bit. Still have a lot to learn though. It's not easy!
Jolaroth:
Three's a crowd, so now the NJ thread is CROWDED...haha. Anyhoo, glad you found 1 last year, good luck this year. I've got 5 acres of woods on my property in South Brunswick that I will be exploring the next few weeks. Happy Hunting and thanks for the reply. Come fall, I'd be happy to share some delicious Hen of the Woods. I have a bumper crop every year.
Hugh

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well now the NJ page is packed because there’s four of us. Are there morels in NJ? I had one day alone last year with over 100. And many big ones, one MASSIVE one. Boots on the ground is the only way to find them. You have to dedicate days, not hours. Look for those trees that are the first ones turning green early on. If it’s an elm or poplar and there’s no shrooms, mark it and come back. They’re out there. You want dark, loamy, soil.
A9F5BEFF-21FA-486C-9D94-0AAA41E9063C.jpeg
7309CFDA-DA35-4D01-B5CC-D1EE315620A6.jpeg

·
Registered
732 Posts
Well now the NJ page is packed because there’s four of us. Are there morels in NJ? I had one day alone last year with over 100. And many big ones, one MASSIVE one. Boots on the ground is the only way to find them. You have to dedicate days, not hours. Look for those trees that are the first ones turning green early on. If it’s an elm or poplar and there’s no shrooms, mark it and come back. They’re out there. You want dark, loamy, soil. View attachment 37257 View attachment 37258
True that! I'm in Ohio and hunt primarily at my fish and game club. We have 2,200 acres, so plenty of room. When I go I pack a lunch and beverages, and it is an all day thing. I come home exhausted, but if I find some it still feels so good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all, new to site, been lurking for over a year. I harvest beautiful chickens and hens on my 7 acres every year, but would love to find some morels. Any advice appreciated, or even a foraging meet-up. Thanks.
A foraging meetup would be great...maybe a general location we have heard of But have not gone

·
Registered
79 Posts
If we don’t get any rain soon we won’t have much to look for unfortunately. I’d possibly be up for a meet up if I can get time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Somerset county, just got into it last year, found about 40 or so. Hopefully this week after the rains some will pop. I have had most luck around tulip poplars, unfortunately there are not a lot of Elm or Ash trees in NJ. I have most mornings free so if anyone in Central NJ wants to check an area out and wants a second set of eyes send me a message

·
Registered
79 Posts
I spent a few hours on Saturday but no shrooms, not yet anyway. It’s a bit too early and too dry however this week will change all that. We need several nights in the 50’s. I did get a stringer full of trout though.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts