Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well rain yesterday and more on the way Thurs/Friday, I think that was the missing ingredient! Went this past weekend all the early signs were there, but no shrooms. Looks like it's game on from here on out though. I'll be out there next few days for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went out yesterday in bergen county, no luck. found yellows last year around 4/25. I thought this year might be little early.
Trout lillies just starting to bloom. Skunk cabbage still opening. Will go out again over the weekend.

·
Registered
I like mushrooms
10 Posts
Greetings, fungus heads. Fourth year fungus hunter here, third year for morels. I’m almost embarrassed to admit how much effort I’ve put into finding the morel. I usually have a knack for finding things, but not these, not yet.
4/14/21 I walked about 5 miles, and rode about 5 more (+2 thorn flattened tires) in Burlington County.
4/15/21 I walked about 10 miles in Mercer County, and those woods seemed way more conducive to scoring with an abundance of Elm and Mayapple (not apple trees), but no morels that I saw.
4/14/21 I reminded my buddy in Middlesex County to keep an eye on his rock garden where a Crabapple tree was and 5 minutes later he sends this pick. He doesn’t hunt mushrooms and just walked out the back door while I continue walking all over the state. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Went back today to the same spot in Bergen to check progress. 3 days later, with ideal conditions, they are just a little bit bigger. Goes to show that mores take 2-3 weeks to grow to full size. Last year this same spot produced big fat yellows, which is what im holding out for.
I see now that the receipt I pulled out of my pocket is from yesterday. But this pic is from this afternoon:

·
Registered
1 Posts
New here, howdy. We have been getting morels in essex co. dependably for about 5 years, obv. some seasons are better than others. For instance, last year was amazing, but we felt it could have been even better/started earlier and we wouldn’t have known because of lockdown. I.e. once we were allowed out and about we found a bonanza day 1 (may 2, 2020). So I have been checking usual spots every few days for the last two weeks and still have not found any. Thinking about trying some new spots due west. Patience and godspeed, all. 🙂

·
Registered
20 Posts
Searched hard in Central Jersey yesterday, nada. One thing I found was the soil was a little cold, right around 50 deg. It needs to hit that magical number of 53! Heading out this morning in Mercer and Monmouth to check some spots, keep your fingers crossed everyone, they're coming...
I'm getting the same soil temps in Bergen County and even the Hudson Valley. There are some early stragglers here and there but I think this year's going to be very similar to last year in terms of timing

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone been out looking yet? I see some positive signs that we may soon get some activity.
I spent a few hours on Saturday but no shrooms, not yet anyway. It’s a bit too early and too dry however this week will change all that. We need several nights in the 50’s. I did get a stringer full of trout though.
Me too, I went out Saturday and today, but nothing yet in west central NJ

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice, My rule of thumb is the 25th of April to start looking for morels, That's really early this year. I better get out and start looking.
I think this year is right on track, these will still need to grow for another week - so April 25th they will be nice and big, then you still have another week before they start decomposing (unless there's very bad weather to stop growth or speed up decomp)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, new to site, been lurking for over a year. I harvest beautiful chickens and hens on my 7 acres every year, but would love to find some morels. Any advice appreciated, or even a foraging meet-up. Thanks.
My best hunts and finds are in parks and lawns. in the parks, I look Along the trails in open sunny areas Not the woods. And I do pretty well also walking my dog I look on everyone's lawn too and have found some nice morels, one year my corner neighbors lawn was covered it Morels it was crazy but oddly they never returned again and she always tells me before she cuts her lawn to see If I want to look before her husband cuts it. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
I like mushrooms
10 Posts
Here’s a couple pics from my friends rock garden (4/17 middlesex county). There Used to be a crabapple tree there. I hunted Mercer Sunday 4/18 and looked locally here in Monmouth yesterday 4/21 where some apple trees are. Nada yet. I’m guessing this cold front with lows in the 30’s will slow things down before they even really get going??

Side note.... my buddy gave me some of his morels, I sautéed them with butter & shallot, and wow! They are so tasty! First time for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Forgot to give an update. Checked the same site again this past Thursday, after near-freezing temps. One of the three was dropped (morels do this sometimes, I don't think it was animal or human). The two in the pic look like they will keep growing, but others in the area didn't look so good, like they already hit peak before getting as large as last year. Soil temps were 52. My other spots were around 48/49 and have had no morels yet.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts