Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I checked spots where I found hundreds last year and only found two. I think I need two more weeks before they’re up and good sized.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Few more today in the crazy wind storm. The bonus was the giant Dryad’s Saddle.

Attachments

·
Registered
I like mushrooms
10 Posts
Few more today in the crazy wind storm. The bonus was the giant Dryad’s Saddle.
Nice. I’m glad someone is scoring a few, and to know morels are out there .....somewhere. I worked hard for it today, and still at zero after 3 seasons. My brain hurts. This gives me incentive to keep hurting it though.

·
Registered
I like mushrooms
10 Posts
Hunterdon County, under some pine
That’s where I was yesterday (0). I go the other way whenever I see any coniferous trees, based on everything thing I’ve read/watched. I gravitate toward patches of Mayapple which seems useless. Justina says lawns, I never read or heard that anywhere. At this point I can’t help wondering if everything I’ve read is to throw people off the morel trail instead of on it. Instead of narrowing down morel environments I’m thinking look everywhere now, like walking a tight grid pattern across the entire state until something clicks. Sounds ridiculous but that’s where I’m at. I walked at least 10 hard off trail miles yesterday and drove over 100. I have more ‘morel’ days like this than I can count. 200/lb dry? lol, I wouldn’t charge a penny less than 2000/lb at this level of rarity and effort. I took off today to hunt, but I’m having difficulty getting motivated through the mental & physical fatigue. Am I the only having such a hard time locating these little shits? Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
3 Posts
😂 I'm with you! When I found these I looked up at the trees and around the area and thought the old adage, You find morels wherever they are.
I was hunting but not as intently in this seemingly unlikely spot. If it's any consolation, I walk roughly 20k steps everyday in Hunterdon as I own a dog walking company, and an active dog of my own so MILES everyday. I have found exactly 3 morels this year so don't give up. They are out there 😀

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don’t find many in pine stands but I do find some on the edges. Last year I found a giant one smack in the middle of a spruce stand but it is rare. Keep looking, it took me a while also.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That’s where I was yesterday (0). I go the other way whenever I see any coniferous trees, based on everything thing I’ve read/watched. I gravitate toward patches of Mayapple which seems useless. Justina says lawns, I never read or heard that anywhere. At this point I can’t help wondering if everything I’ve read is to throw people off the morel trail instead of on it. Instead of narrowing down morel environments I’m thinking look everywhere now, like walking a tight grid pattern across the entire state until something clicks. Sounds ridiculous but that’s where I’m at. I walked at least 10 hard off trail miles yesterday and drove over 100. I have more ‘morel’ days like this than I can count. 200/lb dry? lol, I wouldn’t charge a penny less than 2000/lb at this level of rarity and effort. I took off today to hunt, but I’m having difficulty getting motivated through the mental & physical fatigue. Am I the only having such a hard time locating these little shits? Anyone? Anyone?
I can appreciate your frustration. I've felt it, but kept on going, not just with morels, but with other shrooms too. Still have several on my bucket list. Several years ago I hiked into a new area to check it out. Starts out with a big open field bordered by woods. I check out this tree, that tree, the other tree and find nothing. I finally decide to quit the area and was hiking out on this ghost of a dirt 2 track. When I hit the big open field, out of the corner of my eye I notice something that was the right color for a morel against the green of the grass which was getting close to a foot tall. This was late season. I checked an sure enough, a morel. So I really starting searching and found about a dozen big, fresh yellows growing in the grass nowhere near any trees!

As akatklein said, morels, and other mushrooms will grow wherever and whenever they want!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hit it pretty hard today and did ok. It’s weird this year, I’m just not finding them in my usual spots although it may still be early. However, I found some decent sized ones that were a little crumbly. So who knows.
417A23C4-E2CC-4C3D-BBA0-399B098603FB.jpeg
6FDA2B7E-1DC4-4F51-B2A6-B4DB07E845F1.jpeg
95CC1BD0-6278-41FE-9E27-D9AFB7D06692.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
I like mushrooms
10 Posts
Nice haul swampy, some ramps too! I can’t find those either lolz. I went back to building mtb trails for a day, I’ll try to get out after work this week. Fingers crossed.
side note, there’s a little chicken growing from a log on one of my jumps...

I’ll definitely eat some of that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’ve never had it. Cut a bunch off a stump one time and while reading about cooking it it said don’t eat them from evergreen logs. Went back and sure enough, white pine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wish i could post a video here but can't. I'm gonna post it on Facebook NJ mycological group. if you get a chance watch it. I taped it last year. 5/2/20

41 - 60 of 61 Posts