Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, new to site, been lurking for over a year. I harvest beautiful chickens and hens on my 7 acres every year, but would love to find some morels. Any advice appreciated, or even a foraging meet-up. Thanks.
I have had zero luck with Morels in NJ this year. This is also the first season I have been in NJ for over a decade so I am probably a bit rusty when it comes to this area. I am outside of Philly. I know most people have better luck in central-north Jersey, at least from the forums I have read.

Slippery elms, if you can find them, look around those. Typically, at least in my past findings in other states, Elms around Ash and Tulips have shown to have some action. a southside slope is also worth checking out especially around the aforementioned trees. Also, I have found them around birch trees. Look for disturbed soils/woodchips around these trees. I have never had the luxury of knowing whether or not I was surveying an old apple orchard however, lots of people swear by that kind of land. My only concern would be the grounds holding different chemicals that may not be good to forage from. Again, I am not an expert, just passing along things I have read and what I personally do.

I am looking forward to rediscovering the mushrooms through the seasons here in NJ. It has been a very long time and I am down to gather with some people who may want to go on a hunt for other mushrooms through the seasons.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s where I was yesterday (0). I go the other way whenever I see any coniferous trees, based on everything thing I’ve read/watched. I gravitate toward patches of Mayapple which seems useless. Justina says lawns, I never read or heard that anywhere. At this point I can’t help wondering if everything I’ve read is to throw people off the morel trail instead of on it. Instead of narrowing down morel environments I’m thinking look everywhere now, like walking a tight grid pattern across the entire state until something clicks. Sounds ridiculous but that’s where I’m at. I walked at least 10 hard off trail miles yesterday and drove over 100. I have more ‘morel’ days like this than I can count. 200/lb dry? lol, I wouldn’t charge a penny less than 2000/lb at this level of rarity and effort. I took off today to hunt, but I’m having difficulty getting motivated through the mental & physical fatigue. Am I the only having such a hard time locating these little shits? Anyone? Anyone?
You are not the only one struggling! I find the trees and what make up the ideal morel patch conditions and NOTHING. I have gone all over southern and central NJ and nothing. I think I spent too much time looking in southern NJ this year. We didnt get a whole bunch of rain either. Just this one crazy storm and I didnt survey the days after as completely as I should have. I think I missed my window.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It’s over now imo. Another imo central Jersey is much better then north Jersey at least real north. Friends of mine in central Jersey found about 500 in one day this year. Another friend of mine last year, his first year looking, found over 400 for the season. We don’t seem to often have big numbers like that available. 50 is prob a real good day up north.
Either way though time to start looking for other things

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went to spots this year that I found at least 50-100 in last year... I didn't find a single morel there this year. I don't know if it was too cool, not enough rain... not sure at all... I found 6 this whole season.
Something weird is going on. The only thing I can think of is the Brood X of the cicadas are coming up from the ground this year... maybe that disturbed everything. I've got about 1,000 lbs of cicadas over here if anyone wants any. ;)

61 - 65 of 65 Posts