Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to foraging and thinking of going out this weekend after the storms (if they happen), I was thinking of going near an apple orchard, any thoughts?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Apple is known to be a tree associated with morels, but is this a commercial apple orchard? If so, fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides may be applied there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found 3 babies in New Haven County. About as big around as my pinky finger. In a hemlock forest with maybe one tulip tree. A few oaks, and maples. Haha.. Not really sure why they decided to go here. I left them to go back in 2 days. Raining today, so hopefully no critters eat them up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found 3 babies in New Haven County. About as big around as my pinky finger. In a hemlock forest with maybe one tulip tree. A few oaks, and maples. Haha.. Not really sure why they decided to go here. I left them to go back in 2 days. Raining today, so hopefully no critters eat them up. View attachment 38592
I found 3 babies in New Haven County. About as big around as my pinky finger. In a hemlock forest with maybe one tulip tree. A few oaks, and maples. Haha.. Not really sure why they decided to go here. I left them to go back in 2 days. Raining today, so hopefully no critters eat them up. View attachment 38592
Hopefully there’ll be more when you go back!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Haw! In the woods around here we have something called Squaw Root. For a while it used to fool me every time. In fact, I got fooled the other day, but not by Squaw Root. I went for a drive in a local park and was scanning the woods as I went. I saw something that looked for all the world like a bunch of fresh chickens on a fallen log! I know it's too early, but I had to check it out. After all, I've found meadows ("pinkies") at this time of year in years with a lot of rainfall. So I drove back home, grabbed my camera and changed into my hikers. I parked in the picnic area lot a couple hundred yards past what I saw and hiked in. What I found was a part of the fallen tree trunk that had just shattered in splintered! The tree had very yellow colored wood. I will say this, I'm glad I was nowhere near that area when that huge tree came down. It caused a ton of damage!

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice Haul Clutch! I was in the woods again today with no luck. I did finds a nice stand of ostrich ferns for next years fiddleheads
Thanks Robert. Did well on the 24th. But today I did a little better. The woods are ready. Next week is shaping up to be prime. Congrats on your fiddleheads. Keep that one quiet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Score! I think...
I’ve never seen morels with such a small cap. I found them in a new spot- old apple orchard, and I don’t think that they could be anything else, but I’d love some reassurance. They are Morels, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Score! I think...
I’ve never seen morels with such a small cap. I found them in a new spot- old apple orchard, and I don’t think that they could be anything else, but I’d love some reassurance. They are Morels, right?
Yes, congrats. Formally the species was semilibera, now called punctipes, common name is half-free. Could be confused with verpas, which are ideally not eaten. Verpas tend to have a semi solid stem with a white web like material and the cap is almost totally detached. You have morels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, congrats. Formally the species was semilibera, now called punctipes, common name is half-free. Could be confused with verpas, which are ideally not eaten. Verpas tend to have a semi solid stem with a white web like material and the cap is almost totally detached. You have morels.
Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts