Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow. I’m having a really good year!
Yes you are Alicia!! Frikkin' awesome. Always happy to see people finding. Keep it up. I am also having an incredible year. Quick 2hr. trip after work was very productive. This weather has been perfect. I hope everyone is getting in the woods. It is on! I will settle down with the photos after today.....

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes you are Alicia!! Frikkin' awesome. Always happy to see people finding. Keep it up. I am also having an incredible year. Quick 2hr. trip after work was very productive. This weather has been perfect. I hope everyone is getting in the woods. It is on! I will settle down with the photos after today.....
That's awesome! I love the pics. They are so beautiful. I found 6 lbs ON MY PROPERTY yesterday. So crazy!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found 3 babies in New Haven County. About as big around as my pinky finger. In a hemlock forest with maybe one tulip tree. A few oaks, and maples. Haha.. Not really sure why they decided to go here. I left them to go back in 2 days. Raining today, so hopefully no critters eat them up. View attachment 38592
They sometimes appear around populars...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Couple pics from yesterday. Quick trip again. Found close to 100.
Beauties!! Nice find Chris!
It's time! Sharon, CT May 6, 2021
It only took 22 years for this old Iowa boy to find a load of Morels. I had only found two the entire time I live out here and these were found next two apple trees. View attachment 39240 View attachment 39241

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Y’all are so dang lucky!! Hubby is from OH, & in the 13 years that we have lived here in SE CT, he has found a SINGLE morel, and not for lack of trying. He is literally out daily during this time of year and has been for all 13 years. We love the hikes, but I know he can sometimes get frustrated toward the end of the season. If anybody has any helpful suggestions for where to explore, I would appreciate it. He knows the type of trees and terrain and weather to look for (and also knows that morels don’t follow the “rules” lol). I can’t go out in the woods this year (recovering from foot surgery), so I hope to help him in other ways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Y’all are so dang lucky!! Hubby is from OH, & in the 13 years that we have lived here in SE CT, he has found a SINGLE morel, and not for lack of trying. He is literally out daily during this time of year and has been for all 13 years. We love the hikes, but I know he can sometimes get frustrated toward the end of the season. If anybody has any helpful suggestions for where to explore, I would appreciate it. He knows the type of trees and terrain and weather to look for (and also knows that morels don’t follow the “rules” lol). I can’t go out in the woods this year (recovering from foot surgery), so I hope to help him in other ways.
It is 90% location, the other half is effort or so I have heard. I could hunt all day every day and cover miles of local territory and maybe find one or two if I am lucky. I get in the car and go to spots I have found elsewhere and find several pounds on a handful of acres. Finding the spots is the key. SE CT is not ideal territory. Opposite corner of the state from you he would be in a different world with that effort. It is a matter of geology.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Found over 160 today. The cool weather is really helping a couple spots but slowing others. I can't complain. Except...one of my spots got totally clean cut. Gone. Nothing. Elms. Ashes. Underbrush. I thought it was a secret place. Haha. Oh well. Somebody knew about it and had other plans. I'm sure we all have a story.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend and I started hunting the woods behind our house in northern Fairfield County last year ... with no luck. Today was our first outing of 2021 and we spotted two morels! Well ... I guess I should clarify that SHE spotted two, haha! No idea how she saw the first one ... literally the smallest morel I’ve ever seen (I used to forage a bit in western Montana) and the first one she’d ever seen. Second one was huge but the bugs had gotten to it. Anyway, we’re stoked to return to those spots and keep hunting. Good luck, all!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I did get a few and one monster! And boy did I bleed for them! Note to self "put the clippers back in the foraging bag"

Thanks for all the info here and encouragement 🙏🙏🙏 View attachment 39450
Oh man!!! Great job Robert. Beautiful mushrooms. I must say you really stuck with it..found a spot or two. Pretty cool. And I don't even use a knife anymore. Hand pruners all day!! And blood still flows. Again, good for you. It's not over yet. I will not be in the woods for 7 days. Big lake in NH calls. I hope everyone here keeps finding.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Haw! Went out the other day and forgot the pruners to cut my way through the briers! Got ripped up pretty good. I don't mind it all that much if I'm finding them, but I didn't find crap that day! Usually, I'll just grab the cane in my way, fold it aside, and use the thorns to hook it onto something else. But it was cold as hell, my feet were freezing, and I got in a hurry.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Your story made me smile! Nothing like finding embedded prickers days later, in places you wish they weren't! Been there, done that. A lot of time though if you ain't in the thick of it....you ain't filling a bag. Thank you shroomsearcher.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts