Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm guessing southern Illinois could have a few within a week or so, and northern Illinois will be around 4 weeks after that. After a chilly week this week with even a little bit of snow predicted, it looks like we're in line for some 60's next week north of I-80.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya 70* two days ago snow and ice today 31*
but I see a lot of 60* in the next week 🤞

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes would love to go to Shawnee forest to find some blacks. Don't find them up here in Wisco side of Illinois border
Bob You ever been down to Shawnee I was thinking about it last year and didn't make it.I wouldn't even know where to start.Pretty big area.I live right on the Wis Ill border CC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bob You ever been down to Shawnee I was thinking about it last year and didn't make it.I wouldn't even know where to start.Pretty big area.I live right on the Wis Ill border CC
Same live Janesville area. Would love to go there. But honestly it's probably great right now. But the way the temps are looking 1st week of April we might be hunting by the 2nd week if the temps stay as predicted

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last year was epic at Shawnee. Parks reopened May 1 so it was like an “opening day” for shrooms right at the perfect time. I got to the parking area before 6 as the park ranger was unlocking the gate. Honestly the forest is huge but I did not have trouble finding them, nor did a lot of others. From WI as well and I love driving down into Illinois every season just for the adventure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ready for a new year and a new hunt 71* here today got me itching
can’t wait to see what this year brings!!!
Hello to the forum. Used to post years ago as dbowhntr but that account is linked to a dead email and I had to register a new name. Getting old-ish and it's hard to pull the bow back anymore and I will be switching to a crossbow so the new handle fits. Good luck all, nice weather we're having so far in 2021!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello to the forum. Used to post years ago as dbowhntr but that account is linked to a dead email and I had to register a new name. Getting old-ish and it's hard to pull the bow back anymore and I will be switching to a crossbow so the new handle fits. Good luck all, nice weather we're having so far in 2021! View attachment 37465
Welcome back nice pick if you don’t mind what of il are you in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome back nice pick if you don’t mind what of il are you in?
Found on a southern facing treeline in northern IL. This treeline has been a reliable indicator of the start of the season for me for a few years now.

April 26, 2019^

April 26, 2020^

All three photos are the same spot and are the first I found of the last three seasons. This year is 16 days earlier than the last two seasons.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts