Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2021 Illinois finds and questions

26K views 173 replies 33 participants last post by  bigdog 18 
#1 ·
Ready for a new year and a new hunt 71* here today got me itching
can’t wait to see what this year brings!!!

#2 ·
I'm guessing southern Illinois could have a few within a week or so, and northern Illinois will be around 4 weeks after that. After a chilly week this week with even a little bit of snow predicted, it looks like we're in line for some 60's next week north of I-80.

#12 ·
Last year was epic at Shawnee. Parks reopened May 1 so it was like an “opening day” for shrooms right at the perfect time. I got to the parking area before 6 as the park ranger was unlocking the gate. Honestly the forest is huge but I did not have trouble finding them, nor did a lot of others. From WI as well and I love driving down into Illinois every season just for the adventure.

#18 ·
Ready for a new year and a new hunt 71* here today got me itching
can’t wait to see what this year brings!!!
Hello to the forum. Used to post years ago as dbowhntr but that account is linked to a dead email and I had to register a new name. Getting old-ish and it's hard to pull the bow back anymore and I will be switching to a crossbow so the new handle fits. Good luck all, nice weather we're having so far in 2021!

#26 ·
Hey TF,

Fellow QCA (non-metro) person here and signed up to provide morel support. ;-)

Went out last week but came up dry (like the season @ that point) and only saw remains of giant puffballs and old hard wood lovers.
Thinking about getting some oyster inoculated wood dowels to "seed" some of the dead hard wood on my land to stretch mushroom season and make an excuse to go 'shrooming more often.

Now that we've had some significant rain I think you're right and the season is here!

Hope you (and I) score some greys and blacks this week!

#42 ·
I was worried that the snow and hard freeze in central Illinois would ruin the mushrooms that were up, so I picked the little guys earlier than I otherwise would have. I was afraid that they would freeze and turn to mush. Hopefully we will have many more to come after the freeze as the season is just beginning here. Covered 5 little pinky ones with a drop cloth to see if that makes any difference and they will grow bigger after the freeze instead of being stunted. Anyone have experience with how a hard freeze at the beginning of the season effects things?

#43 ·
Frost/freeze will "burn" the tips of exposed morels in my experience.
When i absolutely feel i must pick the little ones(for whatever reason), they go right into the dehydrator.
You get a little better mileage out of them that way.

It is good to see some of the familiar names. Better to know you survived the last year.

#44 ·
Frost/freeze will "burn" the tips of exposed morels in my experience.
When i absolutely feel i must pick the little ones(for whatever reason), they go right into the dehydrator.
You get a little better mileage out of them that way.

It is good to see some of the familiar names. Better to know you survived the last year.
Hey how’s it going buddy good to c you survived as well let’s hope it don’t hard freeze maybe just refrigerates them for us 🤞

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.