Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Didn't make it across the border, but still finding blacks in NW IN. If we get the much needed rain, I'll still make it over there at least once.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Whoa! Blacks and half-frees says you are ahead of the game in that spot! Why go anywhere else?
I would like to personally confirm a new forest. I could just camp at a few go-to's and easily rake in over 1000. But I like to find 1 new spot per year. This year is actually a good example of why I do that. I lost at least 15 trees in my favorite forest that produced anywhere from 20-100+. A ton of others are down too, some laying/stacked on other holes. There's so much more light shining through now. I normally would already have double what I do from that forest. I already found a bunch out there, but 250-300 were from 1 group of ash trees, and 90% half-free.

Not to mention, the number of peckers in relation to greys and yellows is really high. I'll still cut 'em n eat 'em, but I loves me some shrooms with a little meat on their bones. This area doesn't always spit out the blacks like this year :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Didn't make it across the border, but still finding blacks in NW IN. If we get the much needed rain, I'll still make it over there at least once.
I’m all the way on the west side of the state next to IA still early here if we get some ran it will probably explode I have found tons of pinky grays that I left to grow was eighty here today don’t know if they made it will be out in the rain tomorrow with some updates but if we don’t get some rain we will not have a season calling for more eighties this weekend 🤬😭

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am halfway between you mugs. My indicator tree says go. My first trip will be tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning. Rain will help. This would be the perfect time for a good ol' fashioned gully washer. Two inches.

BTW, Tool fan, i saw 87 on my truck thermometer yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found 2 small yellows Tuesday near Willow Springs. It's been a rough season for us so far. We went down around Springfield the weekend of the 17th and only found 15. The ground seems really dry so hopefully this rain and a warm day on Saturday gives us some more. If anyone has any suggestions for general areas around Chicago to check out I'd really appreciate it. The forest preserves haven't yielded me much since living up here.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts