Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Early as this season has been, my indicator tree was correct. It is on the west bank of a 4 acre retention pond in a suburban subdivision. It's peak blooming has corresponded with with the first flush of yellow morels in a nearby woods each of the past 21 springs. Without fail.

Yes, we practice sustainable harvest on the ramps. Not one bulb was injured in the performance of this task. It takes them 7-8 years to reproduce. The seeds can take a year and a half to germinate. We only take one leaf per plant unless there are four. I use the same scissors i use to cut tomato suckers. The chef that got those leaves won't waste any either.

·
Registered
15 Posts

These were gray and acorn size last Saturday. I was hopeful for this weekend but it rained <0.1" during the week where these were. Yesterday I went to a completely different area that had a little more rain and I got a decent bag of good size fresh ones. But it took 4 hours of hiking for that one bag of about 60 morels. C'mon rain, there's still time!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We're at an in-between stage here in NW IN too. Normally, I would've found tons of peckers by now, but they've been scant and scattered. Have a lot of spots where they haven't shown up yet. Other than some yellows and a grey, I mostly found older blacks and peckers today. Only 49, but it puts me over 1000 for the season.

Did okay in the rain department over here, albeit still dry. This warm spurt and the coming rain should get the peckers and yellows going
20210502_072728[1].jpg

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Getting a little frustrated and burnt out work all day then walk tell dark for seven here or seven there or less time to go north sounds like

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
So what your saying is there’s a chance finally getting rain maybe to late all 60s for the next week

121 - 140 of 174 Posts