Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome Everyone to Our 2021 Season of Beautiful and Amazing Pictures , Stories and Conversations of Good Times Past,
Plans and Currant Updates..
As We Head Out into the Woods and Make Our Way Through Together..
When the Winter Weather Allows, Let's All Make a Promise to Make some Special time for Ourself .. Each of us, to get out into the Woods Exploring and Scouting in Preparation for Some New Locations.
And Let's All Post some Pictures of how Amazing and Beautiful the Winter Landscape is along Our Journeys
to Our Morels Season ..
They Will be Popping Up So Very soon.. and then Stay in the Woods after Morel season.. We find Chicken of the woods and Chanterelles and Many Other forms of.. eatable 🍄 FUNGI 🍄 and Plants..
Thank You All
And Happy New Year
from...Wade
As We Begin Once Again to Share Our
❤ "Love of the Hunt" ❤ Together ❤
Let's Go Yall !!👍🏻💪🏻

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome Everyone to Our 2021 Season of Beautiful and Amazing Pictures , Stories and Conversations of Good Times Past,
Plans and Currant Updates..
As We Head Out into the Woods and Make Our Way Through Together..
When the Winter Weather Allows, Let's All Make a Promise to Make some Special time for Ourself .. Each of us, to get out into the Woods Exploring and Scouting in Preparation for Some New Locations.
And Let's All Post some Pictures of how Amazing and Beautiful the Winter Landscape is along Our Journeys
to Our Morels Season ..
They Will be Popping Up So Very soon.. and then Stay in the Woods after Morel season.. We find Chicken of the woods and Chanterelles and Many Other forms of.. eatable 🍄 FUNGI 🍄 and Plants..
Thank You All
And Happy New Year
from...Wade
As We Begin Once Again to Share Our
❤ "Love of the Hunt" ❤ Together ❤
Let's Go Yall !!👍🏻💪🏻
Happy New Year everyone hope you all have a fruitful season Getting ready to go to the woods just got a new pup and about 3 inches of fresh snow on the ground we’re going to scout (play in) the woods Hopefully she’ll be able to find some shrooms this spring like Chewy. Good luck everyone get out there and enjoy Mother Nature’s Woods

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy New Year! This will be my first year hunting Morels. Never seen one in the wild. I’ve started scouting some locations in NE Connecticut. I don’t know exactly where to go, but I understand that Elm, Tulip Poplar and Sycamore stands are a good place to start. So excited. Any advice for a budding Novice Mycophile?

·
Super Moderator
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy New Year! This will be my first year hunting Morels. Never seen one in the wild. I’ve started scouting some locations in NE Connecticut. I don’t know exactly where to go, but I understand that Elm, Tulip Poplar and Sycamore stands are a good place to start. So excited. Any advice for a budding Novice Mycophile?
@Matty Ice Howdy Ice, and Everyone
Wade here....
Excellent to have You checking in Early!!
* You are already doin the right thing, by just get'n out there Walking, Look'n around, putting in the Miles, Enjoying!!
**Go back a few years, here on This Site and Read forward to Present, and You will get to know and understand all of us and better how to Relate. as You join in the Hunt with us.
*** Also by Going back and Reading Forward through a few seasons You will read/find the answers to ...
Every Question already right there for you.
**** I also suggest you find a couple of good but simple Identification books..
one for Trees ..and one for Mushrooms/ Fungi
*****Mainly Ice...
"You Won't Know if You Don't Go"
So Stay in the Woods and You'll Find Them..
Talk again soon @Matty Ice

·
Super Moderator
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Super Moderator
733 Posts
Hello fellow fungi freaks,
Nice to see increased activity on the board, I had my first Morel dream last night so it cant be long till its time.
Matty Ice, Welcome to the forum, I know you will find it informative and entertaining. You received excellent advice from Wade that will put you in a very good position to enjoy Morel hunting.

Looking forward to a great season.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yep! Put lots of miles on those boots. Pre-scouting is always a good idea. Learn your trees so that you can identify them by their bark! This allows for a lot of off season scouting. Check the condition of what elm trees you do find. Don't know what the elm forest is like in Conn., but the elm/morel connection in NE Ohio is pretty well worn out. The trees are too long dead. At least where I hunt. If you find freshly dead ones, with the bark just beginning to slip, those will be your best shot.

You have a computer, and there is just a wealth of information about mushrooms in general available to you. And not just morels. Don't stop there. My first year hunting I didn't find a single morel! But, I found two other edible species just because I kept my eyes open, and was thinking about mushrooms! Another website that I would recommend to you is "Learn Your Land" on YouTube. They have excellent instructional videos about hunting many species of mushrooms.

Also, after that fruitless first morel season, I began to wonder if I was "looking" at them, but just not "seeing" them. This is where Google Images came in. I just went there and searched "morels". I looked at hundreds of pictures of them, just to implant that image in my brain! Guess what happened my second year? I found some!

And if you can find this book online somewhere, I would strongly suggest that you buy it. It is called "Morels, True or False?" by Larry Lonik. It may be out of print, since Lonik is now deceased. It is the most succinct, and to the point, reference to morels that I have ever seen. You can read it in an hour!

And lastly, just for fun, go to YouTube and search "Paul Stamets". If you want to have your mind blown, and learn things about mushrooms that you would never imagine, watch some of his vids. He is a mycologist, and researcher, and is one of the smartest people I have ever heard talk about any subject! And, yes, he has a few "find 'em and eat 'em" vids too!

I wish you luck!

·
Super Moderator
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
April 24th 2018 at "Green Camp"
Robinbluebird finding, .. Very Fresh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts