Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

201 - 220 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree. I think a good rain is all we need. Needs to hurry or it could be one of those big flushes or two and be over . I like to ease into it and have a good long season.
This season's weather isn't too far off from last year, with the exception of the February warm-up in 2020 and this past cold snap being a little more harsh. Last year, we had a similar ramp up in temps and little to no rain (in my spot) from the end of March into April.
Along with 70+ degree temps, there's rain forecast for Wednesday night/Thursday morning, and that should do it. Next week will be back to more moderate temps, with rain coming mid-week, which should result in some outstanding finds.

I'm still thinking I'll be heading down on the 9th (Friday), but I hate searching when the weekend warriors are out...there are ruthless locals where I hunt. Not sure if I can wait until Monday, though...I'm gettin' anxious!

·
Registered
95 Posts
This season's weather isn't too far off from last year, with the exception of the February warm-up in 2020 and this past cold snap being a little more harsh. Last year, we had a similar ramp up in temps and little to no rain (in my spot) from the end of March into April.
Along with 70+ degree temps, there's rain forecast for Wednesday night/Thursday morning, and that should do it. Next week will be back to more moderate temps, with rain coming mid-week, which should result in some outstanding finds.

I'm still thinking I'll be heading down on the 9th (Friday), but I hate searching when the weekend warriors are out...there are ruthless locals where I hunt. Not sure if I can wait until Monday, though...I'm gettin' anxious!
I hear you. At least we got through Easter without the crowds. Maybe this year we won't have to worry about turkey hunters until the very end. I hate waiting until midday to get out there. I haven't found any spots that haven't had ruthless locals,lol.I keep dreaming about it though. First day it rains I will be out in it .Feel the ground rumbling now. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think we're going to have a really long season up here in the Region, and in MI. We had a some colder weather last year around the middle of the month and it looks like we'll avoid that this year. Hard to find blacks around here unless we have springs like this. I found some close to the MI border last year on April 23rd...we'll see what happens this year.

Recently heard that one of my father's hunting grounds close to Gary had a wildfire (Miller Woods). I'll have to go check out the damage. The last time my father was there, he found a dead body.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tippecanoe County---Went out to a woods today that was a home run for me last year in late April/early May. Dry. Not much foliage happening just yet. No shrooms although I've heard reports of one or two being found by the rare hunter. I wasn't expecting anything and didn't find anything. We do have dandelions in my neighborhood...a few. Need rain, and then I hope it cools down at least a little bit, which it is supposed to later this week. We'll see. For sure it seems early to me up here, but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think we're going to have a really long season up here in the Region, and in MI. We had a some colder weather last year around the middle of the month and it looks like we'll avoid that this year. Hard to find blacks around here unless we have springs like this. I found some close to the MI border last year on April 23rd...we'll see what happens this year.

Recently heard that one of my father's hunting grounds close to Gary had a wildfire (Miller Woods). I'll have to go check out the damage. The last time my father was there, he found a dead body.
Good grief!! Hope it was an animal and not a human!! Every {hunters} nightmare!! Now as for the burn, they have websites that tell you where the burn sites are ,just for shroomers. Seems the blacks and other shrooms thrive there. Had that happen in Morgan Monroe one year . Didn't find any. Not saying there weren't any but ??

ers nightmare

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was human...keep in mind it was just east of Gary. Happened 10 years ago. The lakeshore was a great place to go when I was a kid, but so many places are off-limits nowadays

The fire wasn't a control burn, but rather a wildfire. They think someone started it. It was really windy that day, and I guess it took out 100+ acres. Wasn't a big forest to begin with, and it sounds like there wasn't much left. I just went past it a couple weeks ago and thought I should have a look. The sandy soil was great for early blacks because it heated up faster than most of the area.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It was human...keep in mind it was just east of Gary. Happened 10 years ago. The lakeshore was a great place to go when I was a kid, but so many places are off-limits nowadays

The fire wasn't a control burn, but rather a wildfire. They think someone started it. It was really windy that day, and I guess it took out 100+ acres. Wasn't a big forest to begin with, and it sounds like there wasn't much left. I just went past it a couple weeks ago and thought I should have a look. The sandy soil was great for early blacks because it heated up faster than most of the area.
Definitely worth a try. Hope you load up on them! You should be able to spot them easier.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well my hunt in Shawnee was a bust for me the last day we went to see little grand canyon and in the bottoms there look awesome trilliums and mayapples where way up and top of populars where leafing out pretty well had to get back so my wife could go to work most of the ridge tops didnt look to productive yet by this weekend i think area will be prime
Good Luck All

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well my hunt in Shawnee was a bust for me the last day we went to see little grand canyon and in the bottoms there look awesome trilliums and mayapples where way up and top of populars where leafing out pretty well had to get back so my wife could go to work most of the ridge tops didnt look to productive yet by this weekend i think area will be prime
Good Luck All
Ty for the info was thinking of driving down there this weekend

·
Registered
5 Posts
Washington County, Indiana is
IMG_20210405_181744629_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210405_181744629_HDR.jpg
officially on the map! I was skeptical but went looking anyway. It seemed a bit dry and a little too soon after our little cold snap. I found 9 small blacks at the top of a small hill, most of th
IMG_20210405_185900200.jpg
em around a pretty big Ash Tree but there were lots of Oaks and Tulip Poplars too. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Washington County, Indiana is View attachment 37329 View attachment 37329 officially on the map! I was skeptical but went looking anyway. It seemed a bit dry and a little too soon after our little cold snap. I found 9 small blacks at the top of a small hill, most of th View attachment 37330 em around a pretty big Ash Tree but there were lots of Oaks and Tulip Poplars too. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!
Thank you for the report. Does seem dry. Especially with the wind coming . Wicks the surface moisture between the fallen leaves and the soil that in my opinion causes the mushrooms to emerge. Great find ! Crossing my fingers for a substantial rain here in west central Indiana on Thursday. Time will tell.Good luck all!

201 - 220 of 463 Posts