Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

221 - 240 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well my hunt in Shawnee was a bust for me the last day we went to see little grand canyon and in the bottoms there look awesome trilliums and mayapples where way up and top of populars where leafing out pretty well had to get back so my wife could go to work most of the ridge tops didnt look to productive yet by this weekend i think area will be prime
Good Luck All
Thanks for the info. That might be enough to sway me to wait an extra day or two to head south...want to hit some ridges hard.

What do you guys think...should I head to southern Indiana on Friday or Sunday?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Washington County, Indiana is View attachment 37329 View attachment 37329 officially on the map! I was skeptical but went looking anyway. It seemed a bit dry and a little too soon after our little cold snap. I found 9 small blacks at the top of a small hill, most of th View attachment 37330 em around a pretty big Ash Tree but there were lots of Oaks and Tulip Poplars too. Happy Hunting Everyone!!!
That's awesome, that'll definitely get us hoosiers mushroom blood pumping for sure. Nice find!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the info. That might be enough to sway me to wait an extra day or two to head south...want to hit some ridges hard.

What do you guys think...should I head to southern Indiana on Friday or Sunday?
I've never really hunted in that area much. Washington is southwest so if you have spots that you know produced before for you and we get these rains Wednesday eve and Thursday morning then I would say yes. Not sure if you will find the big hauls you are after but if you've got the fever it'll hard to resist! Good luck if you do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think they will be popping up like mad after this next rain. Now will we have the year we did last year??? Last year was my personal best. I found them starting March 20 something last year, earliest ever for me, and found them till May. I may enjoy some nice little micro climates right where I search because it is hilly with a river about 1/4th mile away(watershed). Some places will hold that moisture longer. I would also suggest Orange County if your this way. 🙂 HAPPY HUNTING!!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, guys. It's tough when I'm so far away...I know exactly what I want that forest to look like, but can't see it. The weather forecast has been changing daily and tough to gauge. I'm kinda leaning Sunday if it continues to look like rain on Saturday...I'll have two extra days of growth, plus the additional rain. The downside being somebody might get there first.

We'll see it I can hold out...I don't know if I can. lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think they will be popping up like mad after this next rain. Now will we have the year we did last year??? Last year was my personal best. I found them starting March 20 something last year, earliest ever for me, and found them till May. I may enjoy some nice little micro climates right where I search because it is hilly with a river about 1/4th mile away(watershed). Some places will hold that moisture longer. I would also suggest Orange County if your this way. 🙂 HAPPY HUNTING!!!
Orange County you say? I never thought about it because it didn't look like much from the satellite pics. Might have to drive through if I have time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
NW Indiana is greening up. Ramps up, mayapples just starting to pop. We just need a little bit of rain. I had ramps and eggs for breakfast, YUM!
I took the dog to Deep River this evening, and that forest is really coming alive. Even with this cold snap coming, we're gonna be early. I haven't checked my go-to areas, but I'm guessing around 4/20 with some randoms popping earlier.

·
Registered
471 Posts
When you say orange county, are you talking about patoka lake?

221 - 240 of 463 Posts