Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

241 - 260 of 463 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
HoosierDaisy04, what did the forest foliage look like? Any shade yet?
Little foliage, little to no shade. Redbuds are budding, same with Dogwoods. Mayapples are about 6 inches tall. The picture of the lane you can see one side is a little greener than the other. I found all of the mushrooms on the greener side(right side of photo)...I usually find them on the other side. It is a bit hard to tell from the picture. The second pic is a Dogwood.
HoosierDaisy04, what did the forest foliage look like? Any shade yet?
IMG_20210407_104600840_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210407_104912276.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
When you say orange county, are you talking about patoka lake?
It is a pretty big county lol. I am talking more Hoosier National Forest area. I tend to look for conditions in which I have found mushrooms previously. Hilly, forested, watershed areas. I wouldn't know what to think if I were to look somewhere that didn't have rivers, creeks, and ravines. I have never searched Hoosier National Forest but private properties close to it and they were bountiful. 🙂

·
Registered
5 Posts
It is a pretty big county lol. I am talking more Hoosier National Forest area. I tend to look for conditions in which I have found mushrooms previously. Hilly, forested, watershed areas. I wouldn't know what to think if I were to look somewhere that didn't have rivers, creeks, and ravines. I have never searched Hoosier National Forest but private properties close to it and they were bountiful. 🙂
More southern Orange County.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info, Daisy. I really appreciate it.

I was checking out the traffic cams in the area, and the foliage is getting close to where it was last year when I came down. It's been difficult with the weather forecast changing every 6 hours, but I think I made my decision to hunt on Sunday/Monday. Rain tomorrow, rain Saturday, cooler temps after, and the extra couple of days for the trees should do me nicely. I'd wait til Wednesday or Thursday, but I'm getting too old to camp when the temp is in the 30s

·
Registered
65 Posts
Martin County on the board. It’s very dry but it poured on us late. Found by a dying elm, lower level and SW facing. Looks like the tops on some of them have what looks like frost burns. This was a new Honey hole. It still seems early to me. I checked multiple other spots and found nothing. Hoping the rain today and tomorrow will bring them up next week. Happy Hunting.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Martin County on the board. It’s very dry but it poured on us late. Found by a dying elm, lower level and SW facing. Looks like the tops on some of them have what looks like frost burns. This was a new Honey hole. It still seems early to me. I checked multiple other spots and found nothing. Hoping the rain today and tomorrow will bring them up next week. Happy Hunting. View attachment 37399
Beautiful!!! Love that area.

·
Registered
471 Posts
So how you doin' on that 'Morel Assault Vehicle' Wade? Think you'll have it for the start of your season? Post some pics when you do! I got my fingers crossed for ya!
The ol tree hugger shall be lurking around but you won't see it cause it's a camo'd up real good lol. The tree hugger is one awesome vehicle, perfect for shroomin around in!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Need more rain! Dry as hell up here in NWI. Going out this weekend to see if anything’s popping or if the babies got fried with the freak warm weather.... wonder what this season holds. I don’t like the start of it... next few weeks as long as we get rain should get them going. Good luck all!!!

241 - 260 of 463 Posts