Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

741 - 760 of 830 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I think you should be glad all the other hunters chased you out of that first spot. Looks like you had an exceptional day! Congrats.

I've heard you can get polecat stink off a dog by washing it in tomato juice, but I don't think that would work for a car. I see someone else suggested distilled white vinegar. Throw some in the bucket and wash your car. Worth a shot.
Distilled vinegar works. dilute it in a bucket, and wash away. Might take a couple times, but it works.

Yes and no. I still had a good day, butI have a few deep spots at that park that produce some nice ones and not sure if I'll be making it back

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm eating most of those myself....do almost every night they're around. I've got another 10 lbs in the fridge and gave a few pounds away to people that love them, but can't get out.

I feel so lucky to still have good vision. I catch so many out of the corner of my eye, and at a distance. Sometimes, I amaze myself...I wonder out loud, "How the Hell did I see that?" and just laugh.

I'm really wanting to hit Michigan when it's in full stride. Man, there's some great state land up there! I think I'm gonna try at least once.
I hear you! If I had my choice I would move to Yuma Mich. Richest woods I"ve ever roamed . Those days are gone for me. Found out about it to late in life. There you go for those seeking knowlege. Through the week there is is only light traffic in the woods as every where else I've ever hunted. Have not been in years so I don't know how the ash die off affected them. Totally different world up there but believe me you ll do good if not great. Good luck. Best year I ever had was when they had a tent worm infestation. You came out covered in tent worms. Turned everyone off. Luckily it rained and washed off the webs. I used my walking stick ahead in a circular pattern ahead of me and had a ball as big as a softball around it. Had to stop often to tear it off. Man was it worth it. Good luck if you go. Let us know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hear you! If I had my choice I would move to Yuma Mich. Richest woods I"ve ever roamed . Those days are gone for me. Found out about it to late in life. There you go for those seeking knowlege. Through the week there is is only light traffic in the woods as every where else I've ever hunted. Have not been in years so I don't know how the ash die off affected them. Totally different world up there but believe me you ll do good if not great. Good luck. Best year I ever had was when they had a tent worm infestation. You came out covered in tent worms. Turned everyone off. Luckily it rained and washed off the webs. I used my walking stick ahead in a circular pattern ahead of me and had a ball as big as a softball around it. Had to stop often to tear it off. Man was it worth it. Good luck if you go. Let us know.
It does get harder every year, doesn't it? I went up last year and got skunked in a skunky year for Michigan. Only came across 2. I did find a lot of nice places to look (including local places and state-owned land). I tell ya...every single rest area I passed looked like it had some fertile grounds behind them.

If I go, it's probably going to be Ottawa Co. cuz I found a few forests that look exactly like my go-to, and most rabid hunters focus on other parts of the state. I'm gonna keep Yuma in mind for sure, though. I bounced all around it last year, including Newaygo and Bass Lake, but didn't stop there. Even stopped in Boyne and found their magical forest too early.

I like to have as many options as possible...thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to try it out some time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It does get harder every year, doesn't it? I went up last year and got skunked in a skunky year for Michigan. Only came across 2. I did find a lot of nice places to look (including local places and state-owned land). I tell ya...every single rest area I passed looked like it had some fertile grounds behind them.

If I go, it's probably going to be Ottawa Co. cuz I found a few forests that look exactly like my go-to, and most rabid hunters focus on other parts of the state. I'm gonna keep Yuma in mind for sure, though. I bounced all around it last year, including Newaygo and Bass Lake, but didn't stop there. Even stopped in Boyne and found their magical forest too early.

I like to have as many options as possible...thanks for the tip. I'm gonna have to try it out some time.
If you can't till late I' ve heard but never been to Grayling . There is a fort there. A friend of mine had a nephew stationed there . They went into a neighboring woods and had morels with their breakfast every morning in early June. I have two old atlas's of Michigan. They are old but I would like to donate them to someone who would appreciate them. They show State and National forest boundaries by county. I imagine in this day and age it's on the web. Keep after them.

·
Super Moderator
806 Posts
Hi all!!
Well, I just stumbled across this room. I have been posting my finds on some other forum. Not sure why b/c this is where I usually post. My dad (88 years ypung) and I have been hitting the woods hard this year. We are having a blast! View attachment 38780 View attachment 38782 View attachment 38783 View attachment 38784 View attachment 38785
Here are a few highlights thus far this season.
The last picture is 4 - 1 gallon ice cream buckets that is just the last 2 days! :) :) Oh, happy day!
Enjoy the time in the woods with you father.

·
Super Moderator
806 Posts
Deer Burger "med-rare" on Hawaiian bread with Miracle-whip, A1 sauce, baby Swiss cheese; and Morels from yesterday View attachment 38787 View attachment 38788 and at 58 yrs old I hunted with my first pair of eye glasses yesterday..I can see things better.
But I did fall down one time, "no injuries"
❤Love the Hunt🤠
Glad to hear you will be able to spot the shrooms better and there was no injury. Shroom on my friend.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you can't till late I' ve heard but never been to Grayling . There is a fort there. A friend of mine had a nephew stationed there . They went into a neighboring woods and had morels with their breakfast every morning in early June. I have two old atlas's of Michigan. They are old but I would like to donate them to someone who would appreciate them. They show State and National forest boundaries by county. I imagine in this day and age it's on the web. Keep after them.
Hi Buddy,

I would be interested in those maps, sir. Please get back to me.

741 - 760 of 830 Posts