Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

801 - 820 of 1103 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Saw a bald eagle, but couldn't get a pic before it flew out of range...twas a wonderful sight. This is the first year I've seen them in the Region. My knee gave out early yesterday, so I might be down for a while...we'll see. Hope it's not for the season. Same thing happened the last three years, just as yellows start...go figure.

Found 96 before I had to leave. Yesterday's finds were a mix of old peckers, a few old yellows, and some fresh yellows...not in the places you'd expect thus far. Not sure what this weather will do to the rest of the season here. It looks like it's gonna be a slow roll-out and not a race to see who pops first. Very few peckers this year...I'm down at least 500-600 of those, and I know it's not because of other hunters. I've lost some trees harboring them, but I've never seen their numbers so low around here...usually, they're everywhere despite the weather.
20210504_090609[1].jpg
20210504_083507[1].jpg
20210504_070313[1].jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
BTW, the vast majority of my finds up here have been tall, mature Ash trees...many looking moderately/very healthy. Ash usually harbor a slight majority for me, but this year it's been like 85-90%. It's almost like I don't have to look up anymore when I find a new patch.

Just something that I found strange about this season, and thought I should point out. Anybody else notice this in NWI?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Two separate hunts today. I think I’m done. I really enjoyed all of your posts. I know I wasn’t very talkative this year. I had a lot going on, divorce and my father passing away, but I was cheering all of you on. Good luck Northern Indiana and whoever makes the trip to Michigan or Wisconsin. Until next year cheers! View attachment 39109 View attachment 39110
Hang in there brother, time in the woods always helps us.
Nice finds, for the last hunt of morel season.

·
Registered
172 Posts
BTW, the vast majority of my finds up here have been tall, mature Ash trees...many looking moderately/very healthy. Ash usually harbor a slight majority for me, but this year it's been like 85-90%. It's almost like I don't have to look up anymore when I find a new patch.

Just something that I found strange about this season, and thought I should point out. Anybody else notice this in NWI?
Funny that you should say that. I've seen the opposite hear in the NE part of the state. I use to find many large yellows around the mature ash but the last couple years have shut off.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can't describe how beautiful a day it is in the woods today! Hard to say goodbye till next year. Found 4 hiders as Wade called them. And 1 I missed last hunt. It was too far gone so I hung it on a limb to spread it's spores on the wind. Found a couple nice Dryad saddles and there appears to be a bumper crop of honey mushrooms if I'm correct?? I may get out to gather some Chants this summer if we get a nice thunderstorm that cools the woods at that time. Usually get a big load in about an hour around white oak tree's. If anyone knows any chefs that like to buy them please let me know. Everyone stay safe and have success at all your endeavors.
Resized_20210505_111832.jpeg
Resized_20210505_113036.jpeg
Resized_20210505_111638(1).jpeg
Resized_20210505_111508.jpeg
Resized_20210505_095225.jpeg
Resized_20210505_100008.jpeg
Resized_20210505_114030.jpeg

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi All!
Well I went yesterday by myself. I found a few "hiders" (as Wade says). I hate to say this but I think my season is done. ; (
I've struggled this year with a 'healing' ankle. (I had surgery on my posterior tibial tendon mid-December.) I had to wrap my ankle with an ace bandage, wear a brace, move very slowly through the woods, no mountain goating the ravines, and my ankle was extremely painful each night! (My ankle thanked me for calling the season done.)
In spite of my handicap, dad and I did very well. All total we found 8 gallons of schrooms! We've been eating them almost every night since the end of April!
Here's my yesterday's catch of the day:
20210504_142625.jpg

I think the season here in Carroll and Clinton is concluding. I crumbled several old mushrooms yesterday. ..
It's sad but, it is what it is...
over until next April or May!
Happy hunting and finding yall!
Fanci

·
Registered
154 Posts
Got my NEW old map buddy! That was quick.
Thanks again. Much appreciated sir!
You are welcome! Enjoy it. A few picks from back in the day in there , That was Michigan with the snow on the shrooms. There was a hunter on this site named nealdaref . Pretty sure it was Neil Reed of IU and Bobby Knight fame. He found shrooms by the garbage bags. If the history goes back that far on this site check him out . Take care Nosk.

·
Super Moderator
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #819 ·
Hi All!
Well I went yesterday by myself. I found a few "hiders" (as Wade says). I hate to say this but I think my season is done. ; (
I've struggled this year with a 'healing' ankle. (I had surgery on my posterior tibial tendon mid-December.) I had to wrap my ankle with an ace bandage, wear a brace, move very slowly through the woods, no mountain goating the ravines, and my ankle was extremely painful each night! (My ankle thanked me for calling the season done.)
In spite of my handicap, dad and I did very well. All total we found 8 gallons of schrooms! We've been eating them almost every night since the end of April!
Here's my yesterday's catch of the day:
View attachment 39166
I think the season here in Carroll and Clinton is concluding. I crumbled several old mushrooms yesterday. ..
It's sad but, it is what it is...
over until next April or May!
Happy hunting and finding yall!
Fanci
Well Everyone..
Not that it's a contest to any of us,
Still: I say that @MorelFanci sounds to be making the Grade, When it comes to a True
" Loving the Hunt "
I similarly began Back in February to Rehab towards a Healthy Ability to Walk the Miles.
I Bet We can All Relate.. that the Love of Our Amazing Mystery and Hunt.. Gives us Stength to Keep Going and Hope and drive Looking Forward to the Next Year's Season.
❤🍄🍄🔮🌌🦋🌻❤👍🏻

801 - 820 of 1103 Posts