kale
kalettes

lettuces
kholrabi
cukes

130 potatoes (back half of garden)

* Covered in straw to retard weeds and hold moisture. *

View attachment 39870
Well done. You 'll be like me. Busy all summer canning and freezing. Preserve the harvest! Organics all the way. Those crappie scraps are under my tomatoes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
First head of broccoli this morning. Love getting things out early to beat the heat and bugs! View attachment 39876 View attachment 39879
Early I guess, looks like you must start things around Christmas. Never had luck with broccoli or brussel sprouts, plants will look great with little yield.
I must say I have garden envy now after seeing your work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Early I guess, looks like you must start things around Christmas. Never had luck with broccoli or brussel sprouts, plants will look great with little yield.
Lol I started my seeds indoors the !st of March. Set them out April !st. You may remember my pics from the day of the last snow.
Resized_20210421_080410.jpeg
Resized_20210421_080326.jpeg

·
Registered
801 Posts
Yeah, great looking garden! For me it's broccoli and cauliflower, they would always bolt so I gave up on them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, great looking garden! For me it's broccoli and cauliflower, they would always bolt so I gave up on them.
I usually do well with the broccoli but cauliflower usually doesn't do well for me. First time I tried I got beautiful heads. Since then nothing. Can't explain it. Brussel sprouts take forever to make sprouts. If you keep the lower leaves pruned as they start little sprouts they start to get bigger. It will look like mini palm trees by November.

·
Registered
155 Posts
also we found this little berry like things. it doesnt smell like strawberry.
and this talk stalk. is it garlic scapes?
#1 rule when you consume any fungi for the first time whether it be morels or any other species. Eat just a bite then wait about 2 days and make your own determination. Someone did this many times over the centuries to come up with a list of edibles. No one can give you a concise answer. Everyones immune system comes into question here. Your liver is on the line. Definitely don't consume alcohol with mushrooms. Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
350 Posts
#1 rule when you consume any fungi for the first time whether it be morels or any other species. Eat just a bite then wait about 2 days and make your own determination. Someone did this many times over the centuries to come up with a list of edibles. No one can give you a concise answer. Everyones immune system comes into question here. Your liver is on the line. Definitely don't consume alcohol with mushrooms. Thanks for the report.
Also, we, my wife and I, found out she is allergic to morels. She has a couple of other food allergies and had never eaten morels. After her violent reaction ( won't go into detail ) , I don't have to share morels with her any more.
I found 6 other edible fungi last year, 99% sure on them, even did some spore prints, still couldn't try them. You can be right 100 times, but 1 wrong ID and you dissolve you liver.

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,080 ·
Howdy @meredo ! That there berry is Potentilla indica. We call "Indian Strawberry". "Mock or False Strawberry" are also common names for this species.
Howdy Yall Wade Here....
OK.. I'm gonna LIKE this response by @HawkeyeMerkels to @meredo 's Request Needing / Wanting Our Help identifying Fungi / Mushrooms and Other Fun & Cool Forest finds.
And Make My Own Request to All of Us including Meredo ... That when anyone Requests help identifying " Potential Edibles"...
And Any of Us .. Give them a Spacific identifying effort .. that identifying information, which in this instance is "Potentilla Indica"
I Request to You Meredo and to All of Us..
That Any Identifying of Fungi and Other Edibles..
Should then be Noted as a Beginning Reference to then be followed up by Ones Own Personal Efforts and FURTHERING of RESEARCH towards ABSOLUTE CONFIRMATION 👍🏻👌

🤔 "INFORMATION is Always More than Half of what I Come out of the Woods With" 🤠

1061 - 1080 of 1119 Posts