Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1081 - 1100 of 1119 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
also we found this little berry like things. it doesnt smell like strawberry.
and this talk stalk. is it garlic scapes?
Good advice, Wade. ID's from a photo alone should always be suspect. Much more needs to be done. And for meredo, of those tall stalks are still there, why not give it the "bitter boleter" test. Bite off the tip, chew it a few times and spit it out. What does it taste like?

But I doubt that's what you've found. If you google wild garlic you will get references to ramps. I looked at your pic again to see what kinds of leaves are below those stalks, since ramps will grow a flower bearing stalk at the end of their season. But, everything under those stalks looks nothing like ramps. Looks more like Virginia Creeper to me.

Anyway, keep an eye on them if you can, and check out the google reference to "wild garlic" and see if those stalks develop into anything like what is in their pics.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like "okra" it's ..
*easy to grow
*grows tall so no weeding needed
  • easy to pick, don't have to bend over
  • pick um small and eat um right off the plant
*keep um picked small, good in a salad
*white bread, mayo,Tomatoes, okra sandwich 🥪😋👌
We will do okra on the grill, butter and garlic, never tried one right off the plant.

On a morel related topic, Ocho, my now 5 month old beagle pup is a morel beast. I have one dried morel i saved for training. We hadn't done any training for a couple of weeks, took the morel out yesterday, hid it in the grass, let the Ocho out and he started hunting, got about 10 feet down wind, pivoted and went straight to it. He then moves it out of his way looking for the cheese i was putting under them in the begining.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We will do okra on the grill, butter and garlic, never tried one right off the plant.

On a morel related topic, Ocho, my now 5 month old beagle pup is a morel beast. I have one dried morel i saved for training. We hadn't done any training for a couple of weeks, took the morel out yesterday, hid it in the grass, let the Ocho out and he started hunting, got about 10 feet down wind, pivoted and went straight to it. He then moves it out of his way looking for the cheese i was putting under them in the begining.
Glad to hear your pup is doing good on the hunting. It’s going to be interesting to see how Lucy switches from morels to chanterelles. Hope you get out this summer and do some Summer mushroom hunting good luck to you and your pup

·
Registered
801 Posts
Had on and off drizzle all day today. Nothing heavy, but a good all day soaker. Man, we needed it. Someone local mentioned finding some oysters the other day on another board. Took a drive past my chicken log this afternoon and nothing is happening there yet. And yes, it IS visible from the park road! That's why I have to keep a tight eye on it.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Glad to hear your pup is doing good on the hunting. It’s going to be interesting to see how Lucy switches from morels to chanterelles. Hope you get out this summer and do some Summer mushroom hunting good luck to you and your pup
@Kokomorel do you have any records on
when you start seeing chants in your area?

What part of the state are you in for reference?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Found these lurking around in my strawberries this morning.Think I'll take a break from the garden and lace up the boots and head for the woods. Even the locusts are in silent mode. Think there has been a chant posted already. just not the color we are used to here in central Indiana.
Resized_20210529_085541.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,088 ·
So...All this past year..I had been getting this advertisement Popp'n up on my smart Phone .
FOR THIS LITTLE BUT POWERFULL MONOCULAR TELESCOPE..

So .. i ordered one.. and added the lifetime Warranty/Garantee..final price bout $58
Now..of course They talked it up to be Amazing and I always know its most likely Exaggerating.
But Still; I knew it was pocket size and that if it was at least of average quality and capabilities that it would do what I need it to do..

These Next pictures show what you get

I'm Happy with it..
I've tested it around my home outside
  • at 100' ft I will clearly identify thumb 👍🏻 size Morels that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing
  • at 200' ft I will Clearly identify Morels two thumbs wide and tall that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing..
  • Unless I walked 🚶‍♂️ over to them.. which is What I Want this monocular for..
  • it just came in the mail. So I did not have it for Hunting with this Year.
  • but for many years, I have been shopping wanting to buy the best $460+ binoculars.
Instead I'm trying this Monocular..
THERE ARE SO MANY TIMES.. I'll be Hunting along and Hunting tree to tree ..when I spot a tree ...say on the other side of the creek, or way on up the hill...
Yall know what I mean...
So Now with this pocket size Monocular 🤠😳🍄🍄🍄🍄👍🏻🌻🌻🌻🦋🦋🦋✌🐺🐺🐺🦃🦃🦃🦃👍🏻🦅🦅🦅🦅🇺🇸

·
Registered
801 Posts
Last 3 years it’s been last of June to the first of July Miami Co
I've been finding them beginning in early July in my spot. Usually need some decent heat to bring them up.

And Wade, that's very interesting! So, the brand name is Starscope, what's the power on that thing? Looks like it's well put together, and could be a handy tool. What's cool is that I used magnification to locate my first ever chickens. There's creek valley where I get my ramps, and I was going to check it for chickens. There's a high spot just before you hike down in, and I thought why not use binoculars to scan from up there. Spotted a big chicken log from 200 yards away! So the concept is valid!

These aren't any $460+ binoculars, these are Tasco 7x35's that cost less than $50 about 20 years ago. But, they are really nice. Sharp images, no refraction around the edges, focus is excellent. I guess that once in a while even a company like Tasco can put out a decent product.

I put one of those harnesses on it so it rides on my shoulder rather than the back of my neck, but it would still be heavier than that monocular, so I'm going to check it out. I got a little mad money burning a hole in my pocket, so I will check those out. Thanks for posting!

Oh, BTW, someone on Ohio Game Fishing's wild edibles page posted pics of a huge find of yellow Oysters!

·
Super Moderator
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,090 ·
I've been finding them beginning in early July in my spot. Usually need some decent heat to bring them up.

And Wade, that's very interesting! So, the brand name is Starscope, what's the power on that thing? Looks like it's well put together, and could be a handy tool. What's cool is that I used magnification to locate my first ever chickens. There's creek valley where I get my ramps, and I was going to check it for chickens. There's a high spot just before you hike down in, and I thought why not use binoculars to scan from up there. Spotted a big chicken log from 200 yards away! So the concept is valid!

These aren't any $460+ binoculars, these are Tasco 7x35's that cost less than $50 about 20 years ago. But, they are really nice. Sharp images, no refraction around the edges, focus is excellent. I guess that once in a while even a company like Tasco can put out a decent product.

I put one of those harnesses on it so it rides on my shoulder rather than the back of my neck, but it would still be heavier than that monocular, so I'm going to check it out. I got a little mad money burning a hole in my pocket, so I will check those out. Thanks for posting!

Oh, BTW, someone on Ohio Game Fishing's wild edibles page posted pics of a huge find of yellow Oysters!
@shroomsearcher.. and Everyone.. here is an add from Indianapolis facebook marketplace..
I could not confirm that it's the starscope but it sure looks exactly like it ..but mine was from starscope .com

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
So...All this past year..I had been getting this advertisement Popp'n up on my smart Phone .
FOR THIS LITTLE BUT POWERFULL MONOCULAR TELESCOPE.. View attachment 39928
So .. i ordered one.. and added the lifetime Warranty/Garantee..final price bout $58
Now..of course They talked it up to be Amazing and I always know its most likely Exaggerating.
But Still; I knew it was pocket size and that if it was at least of average quality and capabilities that it would do what I need it to do.. View attachment 39929
These Next pictures show what you get View attachment 39930 View attachment 39931 View attachment 39932 View attachment 39933 View attachment 39934
I'm Happy with it..
I've tested it around my home outside
  • at 100' ft I will clearly identify thumb 👍🏻 size Morels that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing
  • at 200' ft I will Clearly identify Morels two thumbs wide and tall that I wouldn't have a chance of seeing..
  • Unless I walked 🚶‍♂️ over to them.. which is What I Want this monocular for..
  • it just came in the mail. So I did not have it for Hunting with this Year.
  • but for many years, I have been shopping wanting to buy the best $460+ binoculars.
Instead I'm trying this Monocular..
THERE ARE SO MANY TIMES.. I'll be Hunting along and Hunting tree to tree ..when I spot a tree ...say on the other side of the creek, or way on up the hill...
Yall know what I mean...
So Now with this pocket size Monocular 🤠😳🍄🍄🍄🍄👍🏻🌻🌻🌻🦋🦋🦋✌🐺🐺🐺🦃🦃🦃🦃👍🏻🦅🦅🦅🦅🇺🇸
Boy do I! The older my feet get, the more I like magnification! I just got a little set I call my "Mushoculars". They save me a lot of un-needed 'mountain climbing'! That one you got looks pretty good. I'm sure it will save you a few steps next season!

1081 - 1100 of 1119 Posts