Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1181 - 1200 of 1248 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went back to Bowling Green, IN today and picked probably around two more pounds but the real crazy thing of today was that I found out these neon pink chanterelles I've been overlooking thinking they are a look a like are actually a strain called cinnabar red chanterelles!!!!! Have to go back asap

·
Registered
28 Posts
The fourth photo shows some of the cinnabar red but I don't think it really catches the neon quality because I hadn't figured out how to get the flash turned off yet. Other interesting fungus from today's adventures

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Went to check my Chant woods this afternoon after all the rain we got over the last 2 days. They are coming along nicely. Curiously, a lot of the little pins I found the last time out, which were right beside the hiking trail were no longer there! I figure people who are just out for a walk and who don't know what they are looking at, knock them over.

I also found some chicken primordia on the new chicken log I found last year. I know the log is new because I walk past it about 20 feet away on the trail every time I go in there. I stopped on the path and looked at it today, and could see nothing. But something suggested that I should get closer. And that's when I discovered the primordia! Kind of a nice tip to know that it's coming.

I'm cutting grass tomorrow, Wednesday I'm picking 'shrooms!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went to check my Chant woods this afternoon after all the rain we got over the last 2 days. They are coming along nicely. Curiously, a lot of the little pins I found the last time out, which were right beside the hiking trail were no longer there! I figure people who are just out for a walk and who don't know what they are looking at, knock them over.

I also found some chicken primordia on the new chicken log I found last year. I know the log is new because I walk past it about 20 feet away on the trail every time I go in there. I stopped on the path and looked at it today, and could see nothing. But something suggested that I should get closer. And that's when I discovered the primordia! Kind of a nice tip to know that it's coming.

I'm cutting grass tomorrow, Wednesday I'm picking 'shrooms!
Some of the small pins I had on the property in Acton, IN before the last days of rain also "disappeared" but I think the rain washed them out/pummeled them. A lot of beautiful chanterelles I found after that rain were just mutilated by the rain. Just a possibility I thought I'd throw out there

·
Registered
505 Posts
Some of the small pins I had on the property in Acton, IN before the last days of rain also "disappeared" but I think the rain washed them out/pummeled them. A lot of beautiful chanterelles I found after that rain were just mutilated by the rain. Just a possibility I thought I'd throw out there
I know what you mean found hundreds of chants this weekend but only picked the good ones the rain has taken it’s toll on alot of them

·
Super Moderator
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,195 ·
I Use to Farm in Acton off Maze road 🤠🇺🇸

·
Registered
184 Posts
The fourth photo shows some of the cinnabar red but I don't think it really catches the neon quality because I hadn't figured out how to get the flash turned off yet. Other interesting fungus from today's adventures
Pic #3 looks like tawny milkcap. they are good eaters. pics around the stump are either black staining polypore or Berkley polypore. Something that I read about boletes, if it doesn't have a red or orange cap or pores and doesn't stain blue after rubbing the pores, take a little nibble and chew, if it's not bitter, it is an edible bolete. This has worked for me. The Bolete Filter is an excellent site to learn from. I usually dry them and put them in soups or with a pot roast. they have a beefy flavor. but they don't last long in the fridge.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pic #3 looks like tawny milkcap. they are good eaters. pics around the stump are either black staining polypore or Berkley polypore. Something that I read about boletes, if it doesn't have a red or orange cap or pores and doesn't stain blue after rubbing the pores, take a little nibble and chew, if it's not bitter, it is an edible bolete. This has worked for me. The Bolete Filter is an excellent site to learn from. I usually dry them and put them in soups or with a pot roast. they have a beefy flavor. but they don't last long in the fridge.
The tawny milkcap, I definitely remembering this one lactating from its pores. I think you're spot on thank you so much for the identification. Also, thank you for the advice on identifying edible boletes. I've found some near my home in downtown Indy just two days ago. They have yellow pores and a yellow/brown cap with a yellow stem but the pores don't stain blue they really don't bruise at all. Been looking through tons of sites so I will try your site recommendation and see what I find.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went back to Bowling Green, IN and have some better photos of the red chanterelles by the golden ones. I also believe what I've found here are Pigs Ears. Never found them before, they blended right into the dead leaves pretty impressive camouflage

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
More fun photos from today a stinkhorn and I'm not sure what the entire black looking stink horns are I'm interested if anyone else knows. I found dead man's fingers for the first time earlier this late spring/summer and they were much more knobby and short than this. The final photos of the textured dark purple mushroom doesn't quite capture the velvety cap or the color but they were funky

Attachments

1181 - 1200 of 1248 Posts