Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1261 - 1280 of 1313 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Kinda what I thought at first. Looks like pheasant back, but not really!

Anyway, finally, finally, finally, finally got a decent rain up here! Easily an inch or more. Hopefully it can get the Chant woods kicked back into production. I will head out Friday and this weekend to see what's up. It's been so weirdly dry here! What I mean by that is the spottiness of the precip! Went with a buddy to play golf yesterday at a course that's maybe 5-6 miles south of me. I got a sprinkle overnight at home. We go out on the course, and it's nearly underwater!

At the turn I asked the guy at the counter why the course was so wet, He said they had torrential downpours all night long! Well, I know the rain roday wetted down my Chants woods quite well, so I'm hoping it can kickstart another flush.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,269 ·
Me and Lucy have been Following the rain data here in central Indiana and it is working. We will be going back out tomorrow a little bit north View attachment 40445
🎶 Little Lucy is a Fungi Girl 🥁 du du du dut da du du🎺 and She Loves Finding Fungi with Me All day🎶🎹 Oh Yeah Yu 😎🎷🎵
🥁She took-off 🥁 in the-Woods 🥁 Fast as She Could-Go🥁 Every-time I Turn-Around🥁🥁
🎹🎹🎶She done Found Some-More🎹🎹🎶
Oh Yea Yea Hey Hay Hey 🎷🎷🎵🎸
Little Miss Lucy🥁🎹🥁🎹🥁🎹 Woo Hu Hu Hu
🎸🥁🎸🥁🥁 This Girl is Outa-Sight🎹🎹🎷🎹🎷🎹🎷🎸🎸🎸🎹🥁🥁

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks for sharing Koko 🍻 -- yes it is great when there are so many Chants that you can choose. Many people find it hard to believe that I may only pick one out of 50 or 100 chanterelles. (I'm usually satisfied with enough for a few dinners)

I took several people out with me and I still had to show them that if they cut one from the trail path, it would have lots of rain-spatter dirt on the underneath that would have to be cleaned off or eaten as grit in whatever was cooked. However if Chants were picked 10 feet further off the trail where there was surrounding vegetation to break the rainfall and stop dirt spatter, the Chants were often so clean that there was no additional cleaning required -- except perhaps, a rinse.

Of course, and this I also had to tell the people I took with me, if you cut the shroom with a knife above the ground, then the dirt present on the base if you pull it out of the ground will not be present to contaminate everything else in the shroom bag.

Happy Summer woods adventures everyone! 🍺 😎

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,272 ·
Wow..Wo..Wo..Wa.. Wow..
Got Quiet There for a Minute...
Like back when, Elvis had Left the Building...
Man those where Good Times...
Pre- 1977 Times...
🌎🤠👍🏻🇺🇸🍄
Ok.. So I have been intending on buying a book on Fungi.
* I first thought I wanted only the simplest, maybe 60 page Mostly pictures trail pocket carry size.
** Now I'm trying to decide maybe.. more than just that.
*** Maybe Even an Awesome Encyclopedia.
But..
Now I'm thinking I would like all of the Above.
So ..yes Eventually several good Mushroom Outdoor & Survivel Books 📚
* Can any of us Share some suggestions for Me and for All of Us on here... Mushroom Books and Others, that's can Enhance Our Love of the Outside in Nature Experiences
Thank You 🍄🦋🏕🌿🍂🍁🫒🍺🐦

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seeing lots of ringless honeys myself but ecstatic to report I've found my first wild reishi mushrooms in Acton, IN just a few days ago with many primordia visible in the cracks of the earth hopefully this rain will bring out fruit bodies! Some photos from my old flip phone tried to get some better photos of the primorida in the cracks with my camera seen at the end

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wow..Wo..Wo..Wa.. Wow..
Got Quiet There for a Minute...
Like back when, Elvis had Left the Building...
Man those where Good Times...
Pre- 1977 Times...
🌎🤠👍🏻🇺🇸🍄
Ok.. So I have been intending on buying a book on Fungi.
* I first thought I wanted only the simplest, maybe 60 page Mostly pictures trail pocket carry size.
** Now I'm trying to decide maybe.. more than just that.
*** Maybe Even an Awesome Encyclopedia.
But..
Now I'm thinking I would like all of the Above.
So ..yes Eventually several good Mushroom Outdoor & Survivel Books 📚
* Can any of us Share some suggestions for Me and for All of Us on here... Mushroom Books and Others, that's can Enhance Our Love of the Outside in Nature Experiences
Thank You 🍄🦋🏕🌿🍂🍁🫒🍺🐦
Howdy Wade, I think jim_157 is spot on with his recomendations! That Audobon book is, in my opinion, the best field guide available and it's a good size for carrying too!

1261 - 1280 of 1313 Posts