Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1281 - 1300 of 1313 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Seeing lots of ringless honeys myself but ecstatic to report I've found my first wild reishi mushrooms in Acton, IN just a few days ago with many primordia visible in the cracks of the earth hopefully this rain will bring out fruit bodies! Some photos from my old flip phone tried to get some better photos of the primorida in the cracks with my camera seen at the end
The seek app id this as an Artist Bracket fungus, it looks more like the one your holding Polyporales Mushroom Food Wood Ingredient
Polyporales Mushroom Food Wood Ingredient

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
The seek app id this as an Artist Bracket fungus, it looks more like the one your holding View attachment 40534 View attachment 40534
Yes I have ran across plenty of those but if you see the primordia it's very evident these are reishi. I appreciate the reach out though! You should check out reishi antlers. These are most certainly reishi as the texture varies quite dramatically from the artist bracket. Not to be rude but I never trust those apps.

·
Registered
326 Posts
As you can see, there's not much chance of finding any shrooms here till winter; the mountains aren't much better. (what's left of them anyway!) the humidity here has been ranging from about 8-15% during the day! I'll just have to be patient I guess........but it's nice to see all the photos from everyone to remind me that it's not this dry everywhere!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Here uib NE Ohio I thought that Chant season might be over, but I was wrong. Took a brief hike in my Chant woods today, and there they were, a fresh flush. Quite a lot of small ones, so I'll head back tomorrow with my knife and bag and get some. Used today to get the grass cut. That last rain and the cooler temps got the grass growing really fast again, so I decided to "be responsible" today! Tomorrow I can play!

·
Registered
37 Posts
@jashroomer I apologize if I typed in haste I should have thought more before I typed I think any source that helps us narrow down is a great start. I went through my David Aurora book and got to it probably being a B. Edulis. Then when I remembered I'd downloaded a PDF for midwestern identification a few years ago (https://www.fs.fed.us/nrs/pubs/gtr/gtr_nrs79.pdf) and I think the King Bolete a type of B. Edulis shown here looks very similar to what you've displayed above but could most certainly be wrong. in the descriptor he says there are many different strains of this species but when you do a google search all the popular images show thick stalks while I think it's positive to see the midwest pdf species has a much thinner stalk like the ones in your photo. Also they are listed to have a brown spore print like in your photo.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Went back out today and did a more in depth search. The Chants were literally everywhere! So many, I decided that I could afford to be picky. If there was more than one bug hole in the stem, it did not make the cut! I found many that were pristine! Not a bug hole in them anywhere. Nicest Chants of this season.

I had time, so I went to check my hen spot. Didn't expect to find anything yet, but think I found some primordia around a couple of the oaks where I've found them in the past. Still some ways to go with them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ok folks these boletes are everywhere on our campus, here’s the spore print, cant get an ID. Don’t worry Heartlandfungivore I just use those apps for fun, a starting point. Figured a few on here would recognize these. View attachment 40539
@jashroomer Im thinking the same as @jg010682 Tylopilus felleus(Bitter bolete). Quick nibble & spit to help confirm. Otherwise, you just may have struck Gold, with B. edulis, as suggested by @HeartlandFungivore!

·
Registered
371 Posts
@jashroomer Im thinking the same as @jg010682 Tylopilus felleus(Bitter bolete). Quick nibble & spit to help confirm. Otherwise, you just may have struck Gold, with B. edulis, as suggested by @HeartlandFungivore!
Thanks for all the info. This shroom thing is becoming an addiction. I will say though, if the correct ID of this mushroom requires me to chew a piece up, well then we will never know. I have chuckled to myself each time you guys have suggested tasting these things. Thanks again, shroom on.

·
Super Moderator
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,298 ·
Thanks for all the info. This shroom thing is becoming an addiction. I will say though, if the correct ID of this mushroom requires me to chew a piece up, well then we will never know. I have chuckled to myself each time you guys have suggested tasting these things. Thanks again, shroom on.
Come on You will be the Kings Taster ! 🤴
and Taster for the People ! a Nibbler
🎶 it's just a little pinprick...
🎵 they'll be no more..Ah ah ahhhh...
🍄 but you may feel a little sick...

·
Registered
691 Posts
jashroomer - I look at that Bolete picture and think Bay Boletes Try an image search on them. They are listed as having an olive-brown spore print.

Happy Hunting everyone! 😎

·
Registered
864 Posts
You don't necessarily "chew it up". You nibble a little piece off the edge of the cap, give it 3-4 quick chews at the FRONT of your mouth, and spit it out immediately. If it's a bitter bolete you will know very soon. I was little hesitant at first, but I tried it and it's no big whoop.

1281 - 1300 of 1313 Posts