Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1301 - 1313 of 1313 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Neighbor found this on an old oak root. It smells a bit like a portobello or button. No gills, but dose have the spore holes like pheasant back. It’s pretty firm and very moist with clear “water” when it’s cut. My best guess is chicken of the woods, but a very mature one as it’s color is faded. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Nate

·
Registered
100 Posts
Neighbor found this on an old oak root. It smells a bit like a portobello or button. No gills, but dose have the spore holes like pheasant back. It’s pretty firm and very moist with clear “water” when it’s cut. My best guess is chicken of the woods, but a very mature one as it’s color is faded. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Nate
Holes or teeth? It looks a bit like Bondarzewia berkeley or climacodon sp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks, Nate
View attachment 40561

sorry for the double post.Cant find the delete.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Holes or teeth? It looks a bit like Bondarzewia berkeley or climacodon sp.
You may be onto something with Bondarzewia berkeleyI. Both it and COTW are very common on oak. The good news is both are edible and my neighbor is determined to try it. He’s 86 and said he’s lived a good life. This was found in Anderson, Indiana and is about 20 inches across.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Played golf today and while my buddy was playing his shot I wandered off to the edge of the woods to answer nature's call. There was a log at the edge of the woods that was covered in what looked to be oysters. I pulled one and will get a spore print from it. Gotmy fingers crossed.
when I play golf most of my shots are into, and then out of the woods.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first homegrown organic blue oyster harvest! All grown indoor on organic substrate. If anyone lives in the nearby area of downtown Indianapolis (I'm on the east side i.e. 10th and rural area) these clusters were just picked today and yesterday. They are available for relatively affordable price. I'm thinking $10/lb for just one pound. $8/lb if you want more than one pound. Nothing like a fresh picked mushroom. Feel free to just message me here if anyone is interested! The final substrate was a blend of hardwood chips and organic alfalfa. None of the wood has ever been sprayed and no soy was used in the production of these mushrooms!

Attachments

1301 - 1313 of 1313 Posts