Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1321 - 1340 of 1382 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes! this rain and cool temps is just what we need to kickstart the hen season. I haven't found any yet but next week there should be some up. I find it interesting that morels start in the south and work their way north but hens start in the north and work their way south!
Hey CW, I know that in cultivation of morels vs. hens you want a colder period for initiating the morel primordia formation and fruit bodies around 36-42 for morels primordia jumping to 40-50 for fruit body (Fahrenheit) followed by a jump in heat vs. the hens want 50-60 for primordia and jump to 55-60 for fruit body. As far as the movement it fits the regions based on the south will get warmer first for the morels where as for the hens up north we'll get colder first before the south. Never thought of this connection before since I'm a knew grower so thank you for initiating these thought processes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yes! this rain and cool temps is just what we need to kickstart the hen season. I haven't found any yet but next week there should be some up. I find it interesting that morels start in the south and work their way north but hens start in the north and work their way south!
I went and checked my spots the other day, and nothing doing! I've noticed that my best hen years have been the wetter ones. I didn't think it would matter since they grow as parasites on living trees, so their nutrition comes from the tree. But in dry years, I usually find nothing! I've come to think that if the dryer weather stressed the tree from lack of water, that could inhibit the fruiting of the hens. This rain we are getting and the cooler temps may kick things into gear around here. Hope so!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Harvested these golden oysters today from the grow! Thought I'd share some photos with y'all they are a tropical variety. From what I've read they are very bitter if you only saute for a few minutes but after 15 to 20 minutes they release a cashew/nutty flavor. I've tried one or two of the small caps raw before and they tasted somewhat like a melon rind. The unique thing about this variety is they are meant to have 50-100 small caps per cluster

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome Everyone to Our 2021 Season of Beautiful and Amazing Pictures , Stories and Conversations of Good Times Past,
Plans and Currant Updates..
As We Head Out into the Woods and Make Our Way Through Together..
When the Winter Weather Allows, Let's All Make a Promise to Make some Special time for Ourself .. Each of us, to get out into the Woods Exploring and Scouting in Preparation for Some New Locations.
And Let's All Post some Pictures of how Amazing and Beautiful the Winter Landscape is along Our Journeys
to Our Morels Season ..
They Will be Popping Up So Very soon.. and then Stay in the Woods after Morel season.. We find Chicken of the woods and Chanterelles and Many Other forms of.. eatable 🍄 FUNGI 🍄 and Plants..
Thank You All
And Happy New Year
from...Wade
As We Begin Once Again to Share Our
❤ "Love of the Hunt" ❤ Together ❤
Let's Go Yall !!👍🏻💪🏻
Crimson Waxy Caps?

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
I didn't think to try smelling them. I was going to wait until next weekend to harvest the chicken I found and figured I'd cut these off when I go back out to get the chicken.
Cool. Check to see if the gills run down the stem(decurrent). Will also have a distinct earthy anise or even a fishy smell. These ones most likely be to far gone next wknd & be insect supper for the week. But hey still check it out while out anyways..GoodLuck & Hope Ya Catch that durn' Chicken ripe next week!! Happy 🍄 Hunts!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had a very rewarding day in Bowling Green, IN yesterday with my two dogs. I found a large amount of white chanterelles, cantharellus subalbidus, for how tiny they are in size. Was very exciting find. After overlooking the cinnabars earlier this summer I spotted these and thought those look like a chant, then they had the false forking gills so I started harvesting. I also found on massive maitake/hen of the woods. I'm estimating 5-10 pounds in size. Will weigh later today. This was a luck find. I was walking the creek after my new dog took off and I couldn't find her. Looked to my right and up above my head on the ridge of the creek was a massive hen coming out of a dead stump. Found these chickens too and also found some wild chestnut mushrooms/ pholiata squarosa which are best cooked when young so grabbed up a bunch of the real spiky smaller clusters.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool. Check to see if the gills run down the stem(decurrent). Will also have a distinct earthy anise or even a fishy smell. These ones most likely be to far gone next wknd & be insect supper for the week. But hey still check it out while out anyways..GoodLuck & Hope Ya Catch that durn' Chicken ripe next week!! Happy 🍄 Hunts!
Hey is there a particular visual attribute to look for when chickens are ripened? Im guessing that those oyster are better what caught young and small?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey is there a particular visual attribute to look for when chickens are ripened? Im guessing that those oyster are better what caught young and small?
This is my first year hunting wood lovers. I have only grown up hunting morels.. which i just got ahold of some syringes of black Morchella liquid culture and am going to start trying to cultivate those indoors. But they deforested my woods about 2 years ago. So I am hoping it is loaded with chickens and im really hoping to find some lions main this year. I have alot of turkey tail that I am going to harvest this year too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I found a mess of Pleurotus ostreatus(Pearl Oyster), week or two back. I like to harvest them bout handsize spread & smaller. I will take what I get though(drying larger for mush powder seasoning). If larger, I'll leave outside abit for creepy crawlers to find their way out. Then lightly brush off any dirt wood/grass debris. Personal choice I "Do Not" soak or even rinse. Damp Napkin/ Paper Towel helps remove stubborn particles. I should say, I do these things to all variety of mush, no matter size or shape. For Chicken, just look for bright colored not faded or buggy. Some sites may say smaller are better, but I like them to Fan out & Pile for a decent harvest. Dependent upon when I can get backout, weather, bugs, visibility, location, other hunters, I may harvest then & there.

1321 - 1340 of 1382 Posts