Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1361 - 1380 of 1382 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ha I don't mean to keep bugging you. But I wanted to bounce a cultivation idea off you.
I have a small creek or you might call it a ditch, that is between 3ft up to 6ft wide and we own about a mile or maybe a mile and a half of it.
I had an idea the other night. Do you think it would work.
if I were to take a post hole auger and punch a few hundred or even maybe a thousand holes 1ft by 1ft sq from each other from one end to the other and then drop hard wood logs into them.
drill holes all over each log and inject liquid cultures and use wood quirks or I think there's a few places that even sell something like mushroom plugs?
@Countryguy87 To be honest, I personally have zero cultivation of Mush experience & studied very little cultivation. The very little did include, the mentioned Japanese techniques & years later, their first outside invite, extended to a Michigan University. Also recommend the read, if you have the chance. Glad @HeartlandFungivore chimed in!! Wheeeew, Sure Very Glad he did! Such Great info Heartland posted! CountryGuy, your creek-ditch location, tools of trade and rigging knowledge, in theory sounds pretty applicable. @Countryguy87 & @HeartlandFungivore I APPLAUD both of youse Enthusiasm, Experience, & Passion!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey guys, I got something for ya. I decided to buy some mushroom coffee. This surely is a new experience for me and I'm glad I tried it. It's called Ryze. It has 6 different kinds of shooms 🍄. Maybe you would like to try some to.
Brown Orange Font Tints and shades Plant

I also made some delicious pasta last night with some of our dehydrated morel mushrooms. Made enough to eat it for a couple of days.
Food Ingredient Staple food Recipe Fast food

We got 7 more months to get ourselves back into the woods if you haven't been out there recently.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Kokomorel, Yesterday an acquaintance sent me pics of the beautiful Amanita like in your picture. --This after I told him to wait till I got life insurance on him before sending me pics for identifying the "Edible Ones" for him.

I sent this link: Amanita Muscaria or Fly Agaric Mushroom
where it is described as being "both poisonous and edible" .

My comment to him, after gallows humor, was that is also true of the Morel -- great edible -- just have to cook it first.

I also admitted I'd never eaten the amanita.

Has anyone here eaten it?

Happy 'shrooming everyone! 😎 👍🍷

·
Registered
530 Posts
Kokomorel, Yesterday an acquaintance sent me pics of the beautiful Amanita like in your picture. --This after I told him to wait till I got life insurance on him before sending me pics for identifying the "Edible Ones" for him.

My comment to him, after gallows humor, was that is also true of the Morel -- great edible -- just have to cook it first.

Not me

·
Registered
56 Posts
Check out this video of the mushroom hermit in Ukraine. He tinctures the amanita (in the video it looks like he buries the tincture in the soil on a specific full moon). The tincturing process actually converts the poison (probably via protonation) into an edible compound.

when i first saw this video i watched it like seven times in a row it brought me so much joy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Good pics @Kokomorel ! I'd say that depicted amanita is Amanita muscaria var. guessowii (American Fly Agaric- yellow variant). If at all interested in other possibilities Amanita flavorubescens/flavorubens (Yellow American Blusher) would stain slowly reddish-wine or brown on stem, inner stem flesh &/or cap or not cap. The Amanita flavoconia var. flavoconia (American Yellow Dust Amanita; AKA Yellow Patches) if specimen should appear to have yellow dust on gills & or spore print gave a false yellow versus the white print all these have. These are the specimens it would be in Amanitaceae in this region, but as usual microscopy would be necessary to differentiate the spores further.

·
Registered
247 Posts

I have a Good Friend who does eat Amanita muscaria var. flavivolvata. I don't recall his preparations.. thinking dried first..?? I haven't & don't see myself anytime soon. There is an uptick of hospitalized persons in the eastern US for consumption of a yellowish amanita. They are almost all Latino immigrants from Mexico & Central America who think their eating Amanita caesarea sp. which is edible but confused by one of the other yellows/orange/reds specimens growing here in US.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Here's another vid that popped up after your vid played, I thought of it while it was playing and didn't even have to go looking for it. It discusses the possibility that the shamanistic tradition with the fly agaric evolved into the Santa Claus myth.

And yes you can trip on them! And here's one about another Amanita.

Okay! I don't know why this stupid website will not let me post links to two dfifferent vids in one post! Doesn't seem it should be that hard to do for "professional" coders! Guess I'll have to log out and try again tomorrow!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Been a great day at work today Found these this morning View attachment 40898
I took a pic yesterday of a fresh chicken and hen on the same tree. Thats a first for me. They were both growing at the base of a large white oak, on opposite sides. This fall is one of the best for shrooms in my memory. Hope your all getting your fill!

1361 - 1380 of 1382 Posts