Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1381 - 1400 of 1416 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
@shroomsearcher Thank You for Learning how to post Videos and for sharing this Awesome Vid for All of Us to Very much Enjoy
You are very welcome! I've got plenty of others. Maybe even enough to get us through the Winter. Speaking of National Mushroom Day, was anyone else here aware that this was the Fantastic Fungi World Summit that kicked off that day? Well, actually it didn't. I tried to log in, but it wouldn't load. Apparently, the server was overwhelmed, so many people were trying to log in! It's interesting how much interest there is in mushrooms right now. The world seems to be waking up! They've extended it because of the delay on opening day.

At the very least, if you haven't watched it, go onto Vimeo or Netflix, and watch the movie "Fantastic Fungi". i can promise that it will amaze you at what scientists are finding out about our earth!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Anybody still finding hens out there I did not find any last weekend. Its about time to start deer hunting anyway but I’ll still be looking. Good luck shroomin
I found a large one yesterday in Ft. Wayne. It had probably been growing for a week but was still fresh. My spare fridge was packed with hens a week ago but I've been dehydrating for a week and have it under control now. Thank God, my wife was about to throw a fit! I'm going to pickle what I have left. I'm still looking for the late fall Oysters but no luck yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found a large one yesterday in Ft. Wayne. It had probably been growing for a week but was still fresh. My spare fridge was packed with hens a week ago but I've been dehydrating for a week and have it under control now. Thank God, my wife was about to throw a fit! I'm going to pickle what I have left. I'm still looking for the late fall Oysters but no luck yet.
Sorry for being absent during all of hen season! I found a few hens. I'll attach photos of the last 11 pound hen I found last Sunday in Bowling Green, IN just a few days after the last major storm ended. It was pristine so must have popped up after the rain. Finding some wood blewits which are supposedly a November mushroom, will also attach some photos. I have seen some really good pleurotus ostreatus pop up in one spot I know of but my few other spots are bare. The only difference with these oysters is altitude, they are very high up in the tree. Also, I remember finding my last season oysters on Thanksgiving day and later. So in my opinion these oysters are a bit early but I'm a new forager. Also I found some cauliflower/sparassis mushroom and some lion's mane. I will post more photos later. You can see I also found some shrimp-of-the-woods and with some studying I learned that these are either a) aborted entolomas or b) an entoloma that parasitized a honey mushroom. I will post photos later of the entolomas neighboring the shrimps, TRULY PHENOMENAL!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lion's Mane, More shrimp and entolomas, UNKNOWN BLACK MASS FUNGUS. I wish anyone would please advise me if they know anything about this black mass fungus. The only thing resembling it I've found so far is the crampball but that is more of a puffball growing directly off wood. This was definitely coming from the soil! There were many of them all around about 15 I'd image. Bigger than the size of my outstretched hand. Appeared as if many animals had died in the area. Was very creepy- in reflection I wish I'd broken one of these babies open but it was getting close to dark and I was a little offput but the setting and not recognizing them. Wish I hadn't let that fear get ahold of me and just ripped them open to see the inside one time.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
Lion's Mane, More shrimp and entolomas, UNKNOWN BLACK MASS FUNGUS. I wish anyone would please advise me if they know anything about this black mass fungus. The only thing resembling it I've found so far is the crampball but that is more of a puffball growing directly off wood. This was definitely coming from the soil! There were many of them all around about 15 I'd image. Bigger than the size of my outstretched hand. Appeared as if many animals had died in the area. Was very creepy- in reflection I wish I'd broken one of these babies open but it was getting close to dark and I was a little offput but the setting and not recognizing them. Wish I hadn't let that fear get ahold of me and just ripped them open to see the inside one time.
That black mass looks very much like a black walnut to me..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Around the last rain I found a few clusters of shaggy mane in the city that were about the size I'd normally expect. Around that time my cousin who lives on an old farm off Southport Rd. texted me a photo of a mushroom she was looking at and hoped I'd be able to identify. Lo and behold, look at these things! The shaggy manes growing out of the compost all around the farm were massive. Took some comparison pictures just for show. My clone of the massive one took very well to the agar plate. hoping i can grow these in my tent come spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Blewits, Hens, Green Cracking Russula
are the green cracked russula the same as the green quilted? I've never found them this late in the year. Usually find them first of July. I think the quilted ones are delicious. I found a bunch of blewits last fall and tried them. I was not impressed with the flavor. I thought they were very bland.

·
Registered
67 Posts
are the green cracked russula the same as the green quilted? I've never found them this late in the year. Usually find them first of July. I think the quilted ones are delicious. I found a bunch of blewits last fall and tried them. I was not impressed with the flavor. I thought they were very bland.
yes! they are one in the same. I left mine behind as it was the only one I spied and I found it probably in September or October after a heavy rain that's why they appear wet in the photos. There may have been one other but I left behind hoping more will come next year as chefs supposedly love them a real specialty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
maybe there had been more earlier in the year but i was so distracted by the chants i wasn't paying attention to much else. there were a lot of the pink and red russulas earlier on i recall but i hadn't done my research at that time. these were so stunning in color they stopped me in my tracks then ID'd later that night

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess its not over for chickens. Largest I've ever seen. Several pounds still fresh. View attachment 41013 View attachment 41014 View attachment 41012 View attachment 41015
I was walking through Brookside Park on the east side of Indianapolis recently and I came across a MASSIVE spent cluster of chickens (probably 10 pounds) and up high in the tree was another MASSIVE cluster that would've required a saw to get out. What disappointed me was this cluster was located right along the frisbee golf trail. How in the hell did nobody playing that game all season see that thing? Will have to check it out next fall...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I was walking through Brookside Park on the east side of Indianapolis recently and I came across a MASSIVE spent cluster of chickens (probably 10 pounds) and up high in the tree was another MASSIVE cluster that would've required a saw to get out. What disappointed me was this cluster was located right along the frisbee golf trail. How in the hell did nobody playing that game all season see that thing? Will have to check it out next fall...
Most people haven’t a clue when they see something like that. I’ve gotten some of my best hens in public parks. Good luck shroomin everybody

1381 - 1400 of 1416 Posts