Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
1401 - 1416 of 1416 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Most people haven’t a clue when they see something like that. I’ve gotten some of my best hens in public parks. Good luck shroomin everybody
I'm so amazed because I'm out of touch with smart phones and alll that but I am aware enough to know all these apps are being used and I'd imagine the chicken of the woods is a definitive match as I don't know of any real look-a-likes. We need to get more people in the states knowledgeable about mushies!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Why? More for us! I find both chanterelles and meadow mushrooms in public parks, also honeys in certain years, but it seem to take a lot of rain tobring those up. 2 years ago I found a log full of chickens where I find the chanterells. They were easily visible from the path leading along the ridge, and also from the paved park road that basically parallels the path! So, the chants were up and I gathered some of those first, and was cutting chickens on the way back to my truck. While working I heard a female voice say, "What are you doing?" This is a county metropark where, supposedly, all hunting and gathering is forbidden. Yeah, right! There are all kinds of gatherers in there, and we trade knowing looks when we pass each other by! I thought I was busted!

But, it was just some lady out for a walk, so I told her. She seemed genuinely interested, and I told her about the chicken of the woods and showed her some of the chanterelles I had gathered. She asked how I knew they were safe to eat. I told her that once you learn the chanterelle, Cantharellus cibarius, you will not mistake it for anything else, or anything else for it. Also, that there are no poisonous look alikes for chicken of the woods. So, they're pretty easy to identify, and I generally stick with the easy ones. Oh, I also find hen of the woods and ramps in that same county metropark!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why? More for us! I find both chanterelles and meadow mushrooms in public parks, also honeys in certain years, but it seem to take a lot of rain tobring those up. 2 years ago I found a log full of chickens where I find the chanterells. They were easily visible from the path leading along the ridge, and also from the paved park road that basically parallels the path! So, the chants were up and I gathered some of those first, and was cutting chickens on the way back to my truck. While working I heard a female voice say, "What are you doing?" This is a county metropark where, supposedly, all hunting and gathering is forbidden. Yeah, right! There are all kinds of gatherers in there, and we trade knowing looks when we pass each other by! I thought I was busted!

But, it was just some lady out for a walk, so I told her. She seemed genuinely interested, and I told her about the chicken of the woods and showed her some of the chanterelles I had gathered. She asked how I knew they were safe to eat. I told her that once you learn the chanterelle, Cantharellus cibarius, you will not mistake it for anything else, or anything else for it. Also, that there are no poisonous look alikes for chicken of the woods. So, they're pretty easy to identify, and I generally stick with the easy ones. Oh, I also find hen of the woods and ramps in that same county metropark!
I know exactly what you mean about the knowing looks! HA! Earlier this year my brother had sent me a photo of some chickens along southport road in a park. I went in to get them and on my way out the cop that serves at my grocery store (at least 15 miles away) was sitting in the parking lot. He was the only car in the whole lot besides mine. As I walked by I didn't know who it was so I was avoiding any eye contact or communication and he yelled out "Hey I know you!" and my heart started to race that I was busted LOL but then we had a very good chat and I gave him some to take home to make for him and his wife. I said, "I think this is illegal" and he said "hey, I'm off duty" and we laughed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I was walking through Brookside Park on the east side of Indianapolis recently and I came across a MASSIVE spent cluster of chickens (probably 10 pounds) and up high in the tree was another MASSIVE cluster that would've required a saw to get out. What disappointed me was this cluster was located right along the frisbee golf trail. How in the hell did nobody playing that game all season see that thing? Will have to check it out next fall...
Wow you brought back childhood memories! I used to ride my bike and play football at Brookside park! The stream called Pouges Run use to have a ton of different colors of glass from the Marietta Glass Company. Thanks for the memory.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow you brought back childhood memories! I used to ride my bike and play football at Brookside park! The stream called Pouges Run use to have a ton of different colors of glass from the Marietta Glass Company. Thanks for the memory.
No problem Jim! I live right by Pogues. Unfortunately the waters are now considered dark toxic waters but very interesting growth surrounds the area as it's considered a flood area all over the near east side. You can find mushrooms just about in any ally or near the waterways!

·
Super Moderator
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,406 ·
Good 🌄 Morning Everyone 🏕🌎
❤🇺🇸🦃 🍄Happy Thanksgiving ❤🦅🇺🇸🌏
to All Shroomers, here in America and around the World ❤🍄❤🍄❤🍄 Let's Make sure its a Great day Together 👨‍🌾🍁🦃🧑‍🌾
from Wade..
And I Thank You All for Our Excellent Time Hunting Together on Here🤠👍🏻🇺🇸🌏
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄 Only 135-days till go time here in Monroe County Indiana 🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄

·
Registered
906 Posts
Yes. Happy Thanksgiving all! I spent Thanksgiving at my Sis and BIL's. After dinner we partied pretty hearty, and slept in a bit today. My BIL does something different with his green bean casserole. He cuts some mushrooms and adds them to the greens beans and french fried onions, then adds cream of celery soup. It gives the flavor a nice zing. It was as delicious as usual.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes. Happy Thanksgiving all! I spent Thanksgiving at my Sis and BIL's. After dinner we partied pretty hearty, and slept in a bit today. My BIL does something different with his green bean casserole. He cuts some mushrooms and adds them to the greens beans and french fried onions, then adds cream of celery soup. It gives the flavor a nice zing. It was as delicious as usual.
It sounds great um

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hope you all have had a bountiful fall shroom season! I found everything I wanted besides one shroom I need to hunt down... found tons of sheephead (even one growing directly in a fallen green, so weird), chicken galore, honeys, and lions mane be being roughly the size of a Football!!! Ooooh the lions mane was an amazing find in the middle of a suburb when I was at work!!!
I found chanterelles in Georgia this year n my friends yard and also broke my collar bone in the same yard! Search high and low for chanterelles in IN only finding little tiny red ones so this was worth the broken bone.
I am desperate to find an cauliflower mushroom in IN. Any luck anyone on cauliflowers of any advice?
Happy holidays all and always happy hunting!!!!! ❤🌱🍄
Plant Polyporales Mushroom Botany Tree
Plant Polyporales Mushroom Flower Natural landscape
Plant Botany Wood Polyporales Trunk
Mushroom Natural environment Wood Terrestrial plant Trunk
Plant community Wood Plant Terrestrial plant Trunk
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Wood Gas Tints and shades Bottle Artifact

1401 - 1416 of 1416 Posts