Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
41 - 60 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yesterday checked the same spots I did a week ago ground temperatures were up about 3 degrees on average and more signs of life but no morels. It’s nice to see some finds on here but now I’m worried I need my eyes checked. Also why do the the finds seem to be more West and not mostly blacks I would think you guys would be finding. It’s still early and there’s always hope. Good luck to all

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yesterday checked the same spots I did a week ago ground temperatures were up about 3 degrees on average and more signs of life but no morels. It’s nice to see some finds on here but now I’m worried I need my eyes checked. Also why do the the finds seem to be more West and not mostly blacks I would think you guys would be finding. It’s still early and there’s always hope. Good luck to all
Hello Redfred good to hear from you. Good question my theory is the early black ones in my area I believe the frost may have got some. Found quite a few black ones past few days but also came across the first half free today which normally means the black ones are about done. Idk every year is different but think this year wasn’t as good for black ones as past years. Keep on keeping on see what happens. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I need to be more strategic with my timing for signing on here — it makes me want to drop what I’m doing and go hit the woods immediately... great pics everyone! Just curious as to where folks have been seeing their firsts in terms of trees and I know it can differ given the region but, are you all hunting poplars for blacks and elm/ash for yellows? I usually see greys in the same environments as yellows but can’t say there’s one particular tree that will fruit greys only. Found our first on Sunday but it was in a spot that tends to pop later on, even though we were going full bore by this time last year... definitely a week or two later this spring it seems. Can’t find em if you don’t look!
PS - This is a full size chap stick... View attachment 37662
Fowlkiller all of the black ones I have found around poplars. The white and yellow have been areas with sycamores, poplars or dead ash trees. Not many elm trees where I hunt. But if you can find them they normally produce as well. All my finds have been in Frederick Co so far which is my main area to hunt. Good luck to you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Check a spot in PG and Moco I found some last year and nothing. My phone didn’t refresh the page and double posted. Not sure how to delete post just see option to edit on phone.

·
Registered
831 Posts
There coming. This was after hours of searching, fyi. I brought my 15 y/o son and spent time showing him what's growing now, how to identify trees, and very importantly, how to try and avoid walking face first into spider webs. It's just nice to be outside 😌
Oh! I genuinely hate walking into those spider webs. Especially the ones spun by those woods spiders! It feel like they're made of steel wire and coated with super glue! Can't get rid of the damned things!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice haul kbshroom. Spent about 3 hours searching today in pg and nothing. Hit a spot i found them last year on this date. Hopfully start finding them soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just had 2 hours yesterday to look and saw only 2 and left them to grow.. Today I decided the first one I see I'm cutting. That one was little and baking in the sun so no big loss.. 4 hours later and just had 7, enough for a taste. I hope things will get better soon. I did see something rare today a Piebald deer I hope it brings me luck..

·
Registered
326 Posts
I went early today to beat the wind and the rain to check the 2 I left Sunday. They did not do much in 3 days but they were still there and a few more had popped up. In most years I find a lot of Tulip morels and had not seen many this year until today. I found a bunch of them all close together great eye test... It's been strange so far this year will see what happens .....good luck to all ...

41 - 60 of 122 Posts