Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went early today to beat the wind and the rain to check the 2 I left Sunday. They did not do much in 3 days but they were still there and a few more had popped up. In most years I find a lot of Tulip morels and had not seen many this year until today. I found a bunch of them all close together great eye test... It's been strange so far this year will see what happens .....good luck to all ... View attachment 38106 View attachment 38107 View attachment 38108 View attachment 38109
Way to go! Gives me hope. I'm not having a lot of luck this year. Found 1 sad looking grey yesterday after spending hours nose to ground.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nice finds Redfred.
I just can’t seem to find any this year. Spots that produced last year nothing so far. This is only my second year was last year a banner year for them ? Couple spots I picked 50 plus out of last year seems odd nothing at them this year from what Iv read. Keep on spending some time looking hopfully I’ll eventually stumble into some lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Way to go! Gives me hope. I'm not having a lot of luck this year. Found 1 sad looking grey yesterday after spending hours nose to ground.
Nice finds Redfred.
I just can’t seem to find any this year. Spots that produced last year nothing so far. This is only my second year was last year a banner year for them ? Couple spots I picked 50 plus out of last year seems odd nothing at them this year from what Iv read. Keep on spending some time looking hopfully I’ll eventually stumble into some lol
Last year was a good year and I hate to say this year may not be as good. Ever year is different but there will always be some out there to be found.. Remember it's just a big kid Easter egg hunt and sometimes mother nature just does not hide as many eggs. Timing seems to be an issue this year and I'm ( or let's say we) are trying to figure it out. Until today everything was far apart . Last year I may have found 12 this year it may only be 1 see. This could change...There is still time and always hope...Best of luck to all..

·
Registered
326 Posts
3 hours and 3 morels not a great day. At least they were fresh. I hope it's still early and I guess time will tell. I was wondering if anyone else was feeling the same frustration I'm having with the damn cicada mud huts. They seem to be everywhere and are another eye distraction I don't need. It makes me wonder too do they have impact on the morels. This will be the 4th visitation of cicada in my life but the first as a morel hunter. Maybe a long time hunter can answer that. Best of luck....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ground temps have been to cold just about everywhere around me and where they're warm enough it's too dry. Hoping after this next week things will warm up and we'll get some rain. If we don't get rain i think it'll be a couple weeks before it's warm enough around the creek beds to start seeing them there

·
Registered
46 Posts
Last year was a good year and I hate to say this year may not be as good. Ever year is different but there will always be some out there to be found.. Remember it's just a big kid Easter egg hunt and sometimes mother nature just does not hide as many eggs. Timing seems to be an issue this year and I'm ( or let's say we) are trying to figure it out. Until today everything was far apart . Last year I may have found 12 this year it may only be 1 see. This could change...There is still time and always hope...Best of luck to all.. View attachment 38111
I see at least two in this picture!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well hit a spot I found a bunch beginning of May last year about 4 days ago. They were up already but still small so I left them to grow. With the cold weather I was kind of concerned checked back this afternoon. There were more and the ones I left definitely grew. Problem is they were struggling due to the cold weather and wind. Some were drying out already and some were damaged from the cold. Picked what I could better than nothing and hope that maybe another batch will appear with some rain and warmer temps. First pic is from a turkey hunting spot this morning
03CC9134-AE8A-4CA3-B1B7-56762DF2F5E6.jpeg
6E5FA2D7-F72F-48E0-94B1-94377E860052.jpeg
32871B74-BACB-4E33-B741-08B868DD5B1B.png

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last year was a good year and I hate to say this year may not be as good. Ever year is different but there will always be some out there to be found.. Remember it's just a big kid Easter egg hunt and sometimes mother nature just does not hide as many eggs. Timing seems to be an issue this year and I'm ( or let's say we) are trying to figure it out. Until today everything was far apart . Last year I may have found 12 this year it may only be 1 see. This could change...There is still time and always hope...Best of luck to all.. View attachment 38111
Well as usual I don’t know what’s going on this year. Some spots early and some late. While some produced the same others were spotty at best and yet other areas none at all. Definitely still time so I will just keep on checking as much as I can and hope for the best. Best of luck to all!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Found a few today but they were really dehydrated and damaged from that last cold snap. I'm hoping after some rain we will see some more popping up. The last pic was the worst off. View attachment 38204 View attachment 38205 View attachment 38204 View attachment 38205 View attachment 38206
Nice finds! Most of my recent finds have been the same way. Good news a little soak in some water and they are good to go. And I agree hopefully there are more yet to pop.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Little grays and blacks from 2 days ago. Have about 25 we left to watch. Checked today all doin well and grew in the 2 days. Found some more grays and blacks that were similar to the others from 2 days ago today. Left them all again today because they looked good and seemed like they could go a little while longer and get bigger. Going to check them tomorrow after the heat and see how they held up. Also found a large flush of half frees today.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Half frees found this evening. These were in the same area as the grays and blacks we’ve been watching. We found a couple half frees 2 days ago some of which were already dry but all of these were in that same area. These were all in heavy leaf litter and were probably there at the time but just not large enough to poke out through the leaves. The half frees seem to grow much faster and decay right away, there were many more we left because they were too far gone.

61 - 80 of 122 Posts