Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Are we doomed??
I guess I do sound like Gloomy Gus but there’s always hope.. If you can check spots do it soon because what is up now will not be helped by warmer temperatures. After that head for the cooler hill and deeper shade. I’m hearing a recurring theme on here “last year in the same spot I found 59 this year I found 8” this to me is telling to me. Then there’s summer mushrooms and many more spider webs to hit you in the face............... This message brought to you by Gloomy Gus kindly disregard..... best of luck to all

·
Registered
325 Posts
I guess I do sound like Gloomy Gus but there’s always hope.. If you can check spots do it soon because what is up now will not be helped by warmer temperatures. After that head for the cooler hill and deeper shade. I’m hearing a recurring theme on here “last year in the same spot I found 59 this year I found 8” this to me is telling .Then there’s summer mushrooms and many more spider webs to hit you in the face............... This message brought to you by Gloomy Gus kindly disregard..... best of luck to all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most ground temps never got high enough around me to produce anything. I'm hoping warmer temps this week finally result in soil temps high enough to produce some morels. I found one small morel a few weeks back before the cold snap but I'm hopeful most of them just haven't popped yet around me. Guess we'll see over the next week or two what comes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I do sound like Gloomy Gus but there’s always hope.. If you can check spots do it soon because what is up now will not be helped by warmer temperatures. After that head for the cooler hill and deeper shade. I’m hearing a recurring theme on here “last year in the same spot I found 59 this year I found 8” this to me is telling to me. Then there’s summer mushrooms and many more spider webs to hit you in the face............... This message brought to you by Gloomy Gus kindly disregard..... best of luck to all
Hahaha!

·
Registered
325 Posts
went out to 2 spots today the first is a late spot and the first time I checked there. I found 13 in a 8'x8' area the rest were spread out total of about 30 and most were fresh. The second spot I had been to 5 days ago and found about 20 some a few were fresh but most were drying out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have only found 13 in the last 2 weeks, but this is my 1st year looking and hope to refine my skills for future harvests. All morels found have been real close to giant poplar trees in a creek bottom.
Welcome @Sponge Eater ! 13 finds for rookie year, Keep it Up! Look foward to some more reports! Fill them sacks Full!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally ! Was starting to think I wouldn’t find any this year. Found some in a spot that I picked a ton of giants last year on May 10th. Will go back in a couple days and see if anymore pop up.
Where about are you located? Finally found my second in Damascus area. Was big but in pretty sad shape. Probably over a week old. In low lying area in southern facing side of a poplar. Soil temps all appear to pretty much be there (54F) but just need some rain i think for most areas around me. Hopefully next week they'll all pop!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where about are you located? Finally found my second in Damascus area. Was big but in pretty sad shape. Probably over a week old. In low lying area in southern facing side of a poplar. Soil temps all appear to pretty much be there (54F) but just need some rain i think for most areas around me. Hopefully next week they'll all pop!
Found these near Brookville. Hopefully the rain we got will make some more pop. Had 1/2” at my house in Mt Airy on Thursday.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts