Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2021, It's time to get out into the woods.

20K views 121 replies 17 participants last post by  redfred 
#1 ·
I'm looking forward to the first sighting from you folks. I've b planning a 2 week trip from Myrtle Beach to my home town in Maryland. I'm ready to pull the trigger on my trip as soon as they start to pop. Been training my eyes for months now with Wood Gas Pet supply Kitchen appliance Room
this little pair, just off to the side of my computer screen. I'm ready to roll

See less See more
#3 ·
I used to live in MD and still have friends who keep me posted as to when the morels start, and then get going strong. I still go to the Shenandoah area every year. (except last years Covid issue) In the Piedmont ( DC and Baltimore areas). Morels start going in mid April and about a week later 4/21-4/25 for fair to good numbers in the lower Shenandoah areas and get going strong about a week later. The dates varied by no more than a few days in my 25 years of strict record keeping, with scale verified weights and/or individual quantities for early results . What town or area do you go to? oftensoeonwwill post their earyfinds but these are those who reaaly know where to go to get the earlisest or close to earliest morels every year.It won't show when the average or even pretty good morel hunter will find more than a few, if that. It is an indication that better finds are close at hand.

#5 ·
Hi,
One of my prior favorite spots was not too far from Mt. Weather. It was near Sky Meadows state park. I no longer go there since the Ash trees there were all killed by the Emerald Ash borer. We used ot hunt soemspots off of Rt 7 but no longer do so. We used to stay in Front Royal but now we stay close to Luray. It's too long a long drive to the area you hunt. There are many good spots much closer to Luray. Good luck.

#13 ·
Went for a walk today it was nice out. Still seems early here in Carroll Co. the poplars are just starting to show a tinge of green. Did not see any mayapples up and just one fern with any fiddle heads. Ground temps were between 48-51 and still seemed moist but the leaf litter was dry. The forecast for rain later this week and more constancy in temperature should help get things going soon.. good luck to all..

#15 ·
10/4. I was going to check a couple spots tomorrow but everything I’m seeing round here is still looking early. Hoping this rain end of the week will get things to where we need em!
**Also those ferns are not fiddles, at least the edible ones aka ostrich ferns. The stem should be concave, looks like a rib of celery going down into the plant. Saw these on Easter growing outta the pachysandra!

#25 ·
Found two more just now, one is the same from yesterday, one broke by the dog.... or human... northern Frederick county. Looks like the warmest, clearest and sunniest spot at the top of a steep east facing slope

View attachment 37441
Looks like you’re in the right area. May be really good here in a few days. Nice finds. 👍🏻

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.