Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2021 Michigan Hunt

20K views 98 replies 21 participants last post by  Glenn 
Our one day hunt in Kalamazoo was comical as are lots of our hunts we found some nice yellows however was very challenging getting to them as Kalamazoo is a HEAVILY hunted place...meaning EVERYONE hunts there, grandmas, grandpas 1st n 2nd cousins kids, mommas with strollers ditch dive, dogs carry ppls mushroom bags lol so since we didnt hunt there til Sunday they had been BUSY over the weekend and it required some real walking for us pick spots everywhere did get a little over a lb which wasnt bad for the area because it had been heavily hunted the funny not so funny part was I came out COVERED in burrs and when I say covered I mean literally I'm short so I tend to watch the ground more than I watch where I'm walking
Jeremiah says do you ever watch where u are going 🤣
We picked n picked burrs off of me but my favorite star wars shirt now has holes all over it needless to say it was entertaining and it's safe to say just the beginning of the dumb things we will do this season up north🙄 hope everyone has a bountiful season
Thanks for the updates. MMH

I’m not trying to tell anyone how to hunt, but rather help spread the knowledge and ensure you all have fruit to hunt in the years to follow. With that being said, if you’re out hunting morels and you come across some that are old past their prime or really moldy and beat up, just leave them be. They will spore out for next year.

Additionally and probably the two most important bits of wisdom I would like to pass along:

1. Carry a knife with you. Cut the morels off at their base above ground level. Do NOT pull them from the ground. Doing so disturbs the mycelium growth and can hinder your chances for the current year and future hunts to come.

2. Invest in or borrow a mesh bag. They sell some form of them in most stores (meijer, Walmart, sporting goods stores) and online. This is as essential of a tool for the morels survival as the knife is that I mentioned above. Plastic or paper bags will not allow the spores to drop from the mushrooms during your trek through the woods, field, beach (wherever your hunting) - whereas a mesh bag will. There is no place for plastic bags while hunting morels. Pass this info along! Buy your friend, fellow hunter, spouse, parter a mesh bag when you get one for yourself.

Best of luck and happy hunting!

the images below were from this morning under one tree I’ve been hunting for years. So please understand there is scientific evidence behind the above listed info I shared

View attachment 39366 View attachment 39367
Excellent advice for all. Shroom on my friends.

Since we want accurate info for newbies, pulling up morels does not affect the mycelium in a negative way. This has been debunked by mycologists and naturalists, yet the myth still persists. The main reason it is not advised to pull up morels is to avoid fouling your mushrooms with dirt and grit. 600-million-year-old mushrooms aren't threatened by humans pulling up morels.
For any and all reasons it is best to cut them off at the stem. I allow my fingernails to grow during Morel season so I can pinch them off. Sounds weird but it works.

I carry out at least one piece of garbage with me in every forest I enter...something I think everyone should do. It's amazing how many balloons end up in the middle of a patch of woods.

I also add molasses to the rinse water, then mix it with compost, mulch and ash, and take it back to the woods...giving every spore possible a fighting chance.

Still finding blacks down here, btw
I take one bag in for Morels and one bag for trash. I am angered how many people leave GARBAGE in the woods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.