Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Welcome back! :)

You'll have your 80s again this weekend. You picked a great time to arrive as they should be poppin. I'm still finding some blacks in NWI. Gonna try for a day or two up there soon.
Thx! Yea it's cold tonight for sure but weve heard the blacks are doing good since the rain we will see I think we may hunt tomorrow
Hoping everyone has a good season!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thx! Yea it's cold tonight for sure but weve heard the blacks are doing good since the rain we will see I think we may hunt tomorrow
Hoping everyone has a good season!
315 found today in NWI. Mostly peckers, but also finding blacks, greys, and yellows. Good luck!
20210430_134800[1].jpg
20210430_144324[1].jpg
20210430_104821[1].jpg

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh boy! The first big mixed batch from this year has already made its way from the trees to the table. They will be jumping out of the ground by this time next week. My refrigerator and freezer are both starting to fill up already. Happy Hunting everyone. Let’s see what this month brings us all. It won’t be long before some pan fish will need to get added to the mix.

F8F065BF-C8D8-46D7-8339-ED3E1FAC5A43.jpeg
35E32EFA-5D60-48ED-99AB-8C658D6382AA.jpeg
20BAA7EC-7545-4A20-90F0-58C3126D2C4A.jpeg

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh boy! The first big mixed batch from this year has already made its way from the trees to the table. They will be jumping out of the ground by this time next week. My refrigerator and freezer are both starting to fill up already. Happy Hunting everyone. Let’s see what this month brings us all. It won’t be long before some pan fish will need to get added to the mix.

View attachment 38845 View attachment 38846 View attachment 38847
Awesome find! Those are some beauties. I'm assuming in SW MI...farther from the lake?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Okay everyone, I know that some of you harvest Pheasant Backs, and some don't. I took some home today and fried them up like I would a bluegill. Flour, then egg, then back to flour/corn meal. A little kosher salt after the fry. DELICIOUS! I will never leave a pheasant back behind again. Definitely a great way to enjoy these mushrooms!

·
Registered
683 Posts
@mmh came home late Sunday night had to take care of a few things here at home heading back up Wednesday night
We found nice yellows in Kalamazoo but didnt spend alot of time hunting we were heading up to the cabin we had over near wolverine we did get out in charlevoix county and check for blacks but only for an hour were unsuccessful. However, they were finding blacks from what we heard, a guy just a few cabins down had been picking all week and said hed been doing really well. I think we plan on hunting a day this weekend good luck up there this weekend Jeremiah says hi!
Elmgirl/Jeramiah. Are you still up North?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Our one day hunt in Kalamazoo was comical as are lots of our hunts we found some nice yellows however was very challenging getting to them as Kalamazoo is a HEAVILY hunted place...meaning EVERYONE hunts there, grandmas, grandpas 1st n 2nd cousins kids, mommas with strollers ditch dive, dogs carry ppls mushroom bags lol so since we didnt hunt there til Sunday they had been BUSY over the weekend and it required some real walking for us pick spots everywhere did get a little over a lb which wasnt bad for the area because it had been heavily hunted the funny not so funny part was I came out COVERED in burrs and when I say covered I mean literally I'm short so I tend to watch the ground more than I watch where I'm walking
Jeremiah says do you ever watch where u are going 🤣
We picked n picked burrs off of me but my favorite star wars shirt now has holes all over it needless to say it was entertaining and it's safe to say just the beginning of the dumb things we will do this season up north🙄 hope everyone has a bountiful season

·
Super Moderator
826 Posts
Our one day hunt in Kalamazoo was comical as are lots of our hunts we found some nice yellows however was very challenging getting to them as Kalamazoo is a HEAVILY hunted place...meaning EVERYONE hunts there, grandmas, grandpas 1st n 2nd cousins kids, mommas with strollers ditch dive, dogs carry ppls mushroom bags lol so since we didnt hunt there til Sunday they had been BUSY over the weekend and it required some real walking for us pick spots everywhere did get a little over a lb which wasnt bad for the area because it had been heavily hunted the funny not so funny part was I came out COVERED in burrs and when I say covered I mean literally I'm short so I tend to watch the ground more than I watch where I'm walking
We picked n picked burrs off of me but my favorite star wars shirt now has holes all over it needless to say it was entertaining and it's safe to say just the beginning of the dumb things we will do this season up north🙄 hope everyone has a bountiful season
Thanks for the updates. MMH

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hey guys. I posted this on the Indiana thread, but thought I would here as well.

The vast majority of my early finds this year in NWI have been around ash trees, with many looking healthy...we're talking 85-90% out of 1100+. Even though I find a sizeable portion of mine around ash every year, this is an anomaly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
That's why I was thinking of hitting Ottawa County. It seems like fewer people go west of Grand Rapids. Found a nice spot near Niles, too.
My knee gave out yesterday, so we'll see if I can make it.

20210504_090609[1].jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
Back home til Wednesday have the grandson today so couldn't hit any deep spots in my area that may have some stragglers but dropped by a faithful spot even when some one gets to it before me they always miss this one it grows in an unusual spot
20210505_102348.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey guys. I posted this on the Indiana thread, but thought I would here as well.

The vast majority of my early finds this year in NWI have been around ash trees, with many looking healthy...we're talking 85-90% out of 1100+. Even though I find a sizeable portion of mine around ash every year, this is an anomaly.
[/QUOT

Hi Regionnaire,

I haven't found any near ash trees in Northern Michigan yet this year. But it is early we have been just finding black morels. I usually pick them in Big Tooth Aspen stands 20-50 years old. I usually get
all of my white morels near ash trees but they are still a week or two from fruiting. Right now we are in another cold spell.

Glenn

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm very aware of the "weekenders". I've hunted through stump fields before! If I want to find them I have to get out before Saturday. I'm retired, so it wouldn't seem to be much of a problem, except that I do have other obligations. I cut my, and my neighbors, grass last Saturday, 4 days ago. It needed cut again yesterday! Except a constant rain made that impossible! It was supposed to clear out this PM, but did not! I just peeked out the window to see a wet street! So much for the weather guessers!

I'm hoping that I can get the grass done tomorrow and get out to hunt on Friday. How long I hunt will depend on how much energy I have left.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm very aware of the "weekenders". I've hunted through stump fields before! If I want to find them I have to get out before Saturday. I'm retired, so it wouldn't seem to be much of a problem, except that I do have other obligations. I cut my, and my neighbors, grass last Saturday, 4 days ago. It needed cut again yesterday! Except a constant rain made that impossible! It was supposed to clear out this PM, but did not! I just peeked out the window to see a wet street! So much for the weather guessers!

I'm hoping that I can get the grass done tomorrow and get out to hunt on Friday. How long I hunt will depend on how much energy I have left.
Cut grass or do something fun...hmmmmmm, what shall I do?....

21 - 40 of 99 Posts